Views
Helpful
Replies

Intelligent CAC

rsoave
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I need some help. First of all, I will explain how my network is.

I have a Main Site, which distribute the Frame Relay pvc's across other sites. In my environment I run VoIP.

My main site has a FR link to remote Site, with a BW link 64K (Cir) and this remote site has 2 sites conected with him, and the bandwith is 256 for both sites (CIR)

My question is: What configuration of CAC can I use, because I need to limitate the number of calls to ensure the quality of voice, because between a Main Site and the other sites conected by the other remote site, I have a bottke link! only 64K, and a Qos configured to 2 calls!!

Any help is welcome.

5 Replies 5

kseraphine
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

I'll take stab at this. Hopefully someone will correct me where I'm mistaken.

I'm going to assume your callmanagers are located at the main site.

The trick is provisioning enough bandwidth at site 1 to accomodate all the calls that go through that site. You also need to be aware the the call manager CAC (locations) will not count a call between site 2 and site 3 against site 1 even though the call reduces site 1 bandwidth. For example, let's say you need to allow for two concurrent voice calls from each site.

So I think you need to create 4 call manager locations, (main, site 1, site 2, site 3) and set each of them to 48 kbps (for 2 g.729 calls). This will prevent each site from placing/receiving more than two concurrent calls.

Now you need to set your priority queue on the site 1 circuit large enough to accomodate the voice traffic originating/terminating at this site and for the voice traffic traversing this site. I don't know if voice traffic ingressing 1 pvc and egressing another on the same circuit means you have to effectively double your voice bandwidth but hopefully someone else will have an answer to that.

Hope I'm on the right track

Hi my friend.

Is a pitty, but I haven't any Call Manager in my network.

My environment is compose by routers (Voice gateways) only.

Regards.

have a customer that is asking to perform the same thing. No ccm or IPT integrate cisco rtrs with nortel PBX and use voip. id also like to know how we can configure CAC for this environment

There 2 CAC methods that I'm aware of.

1 - use Locations in CallManager

2 - use Gatekeeper. Register voice gateways to Gatekeeper and setup Gatekeeper to allow bandwidth for certain # of calls.

Tim Smith
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

From memory there are other CAC mechanism's on the h323 dial-peer level.

I believe you can config

max-conn - hard code a maximum number of calls.

There are some other cool ways to do this too. You can even use IP SLA's.

Check out: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk701/technologies_white_paper09186a00800da467.shtml

Cheers,

Tim.