cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Phones & electric shock

dsoucy
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone run into users getting an electric shock (or static) that will reset the phone? I have a client that has had this happen to 2 different users, with 2 different phones, connected to 2 different 6509's unsing in-line power blades.

5 Replies 5

bbaley
Level 3
Level 3

bmunn
Level 4
Level 4

I have had a few users complain of getting a shock thru the ear piece and then causing the phone to reset. All of our phone are powerd by the switches. If anyone know what is causing this please let me know.

Hello we are May 2021 , I have a complain that 2 users with 2 different phones ( both SPA 504G ) have a electrical shock in their ears and whole system with 11 phones has been rebooted to get back the service . All phones are connect to Cisco 24-SF Switch with PoE .

Do you have has any update on this ?

Thanks,

is it PC or laptop  connect to these phones ?if PC  just a possibility.  check if   power comes through lan cable connected to PC .

Response Signature

Adam Pawlowski
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Generically this should only be caused by static discharge from low humidity in the environment.

The phone shouldn’t have a path to ground/shield that I can think of, but perhaps that’s what it is. 

Try a humidifier if you can work with your HVAC people to ensure the environment is tolerable. 

The equipment otherwise shouldn’t be able to shock or zap anyone.