Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it Nexus, or something else?

kaneki83
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I need to build an L3VPN architecture from the CE to the CE, end to end, using Cisco gear and I'm looking for advice on the best hardware to use.

As an example, I typically build with Juniper, and were I doing so here I would use the EX for CE, and the MX for PE and P routers. Job done for all three roles.

Turning to Cisco I'm first struck by the multiple OS versions: IOS/IOS-XE, IOS-XR, NX-OS. And that makes me wonder if there is a lot of "specialization" in the hardware too and if there are associated caveats. One voice is recommending a Nexus model for each of the three roles in the MPLS network. I'd feel better if I had some broader perspective.

Would Nexus models for CE, PE, and P be the consensus among other professionals familiar with Cisco hardware? Is there a "better" constellation where better = more technically sound?

As an additional thought, I would really like to distribute the MPLS labels in the IGP using Segment Routing. Again, in the Juniper world, the EX and the MX will support segment routing for this use case. What about the Nexus?

Appreciate any insight offered. I crossed over to specialize in JNPR 18 years ago and expect there has been quite a bit of speciation I missed.

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You're posting in the UC/Collaboration area, might want to move this to a relevant area.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate