cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Meridian 1 Call Park Feature

rgmasbad
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Call Manager 3.3 integrated with a Nortel Option 81 via a 2650XM gateway. The 2650XM connects to the Option 81 via a T1/PRI using DMS100 signaling.

Is there a way for IP phone users to make use of the Option 81's Call Park feature either through the existing T1/PRI connection or via a separate T1 or analog lines?

Thank you.

7 Replies 7

mcnerney
Level 4
Level 4

CCM has a Call Park feature that will act just like the Option 81, once configured. In CCM Admin select Feature>>>Call Park and then assign Call Park DN's with the correct Partition that the phones are in. For example, say you define the DN's 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003 as Call Park DN's. Then I think you have to modify the Softkey Template to include Park. First I would get a call established and then select MORE on the softkeys to see if PARK is available. If not then you definately will need to modify the Softkey Template. Its easy. Just select Device>>>Device Settings>>>Softkey Template. Then select one of the templates, then select Configure Softkey Layout from the upper right. Then under CONNECTED move PARK to the Selected Softkey Window on the right side, then UPDATE and RESET DEVICES. Then make sure the phone you are testing with has the correct Softkey Template assigned (main page of the DN toward the bottom). Now when you have a call established when you select the MORE softkey the PARK softkey should be visible. When you select PARK you will note the Call Park DN appears for 8-10 seconds. Note that DN. Then from any other VOIP set you can p/u the call by dialing the Call Park DN.

Thanks for the informative reply. I am aware of the Call Park feature on the CCM. I am looking to find out how to integrate CCM with the Option 81 in such a way that IP phone users will be able to use the Option 81s Call Park feature it at all possible.

When a Nortel user puts an active call in Call Park, you are then wanting the VOIP user to be able to retrieve the call park. Is this what your after?

The reverse can be done. On CCM if you define the Call Park DN as a dialable number from the Option 81, then you will be able to retrieve a call that is parked on CCM from a Nortel phone. You just have to point the Call Park DN defined on CCM, on the Option 81 toward the trunk route for CCM.

OK, its been awhile since I worked on an Option 81. What does the Nortel user dial to retrieve a parked call?

The Nortel user hits a feature button and then dials a call park extension number. From what I understand, pressing feature button dials a special feature code or access code on the Option 81 to allow the Nortel user to make use of the call park feature.

To make this work you would need to know exactly what the Nortel feature code is. For example, say it is *81. Next you would need to know if the Option 81 has a number equivalent for the * code. For example, on my SL-100 the number equivalent for * is 12. Therefore for my switch to do what your asking all I would need to do is build a route pattern of 1281XXXX (the 12 tells the PBX I am doing a feature, 81 is the Call Park example, and I'm assuming a four digit DN to retrieve the call park.

Hope that makes sense, but basically you are going to need some specific information on the Option 81 translations to make this work. Good Luck!

That's exactly what I'm trying to get more information on.

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.

Have fun...

2 options:

A. Line side T1 card - this is old school and emulates 24 analog sets. In CCM build a specific route that includes the DN's of the park range on the Opt 81 - have them route thru the t1 line card in your router that is connected to the Line side T1 on the switch. This card will go in an IPE cabinet of your switch and is configured with dip switches. Watch out, the card requires the XPEC number of the shelf its installed on, but it is limited to 0-15 on the dip switches. If you install it on a shelf with a higher XPEC range you will not be able to address the card.

B. PRI T1 using DMS100 - Enable Network wide call parking between all of your 81's, 11's etc. Enable external call park access. As long as your parking extensions are DID's then callers from cell phones, home phones or VoIP phones will be able to call in and receive parked calls. ie, page a user with a parked DID and they can call it directly. There are some security issues with the external park options, you may want to research first.

This has been a major issue for us, but we finally have it nailed down w/ option #1. Our only issue right now is that we only have 24 channels for park access and our park range is 100 dn's. You can dial any of the 100 dn's, but the system is limited to 24 concurrent connections.

FYI feature codes will not work and for collecting calls you don't need them anyways, just for parking them. Also, a big bummer that I've seen is that you have no trunking access codes from the Cisco side. To init a feature code from the Cisco side you have to get dialtone from the Nortel platform, the CCM cannot connect directly to the trunk. ie, the line side T1 acts as your gateway, giving you direct access to the Nortel world. Basically, when you cross channel 17 of the T1 you connect to a 500 set with a Nortel DN on it, that set does have the ability to collect parked calls.

Hope this helps...