cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MGCP or H323

rjain
Level 1
Level 1

I am going to Build ICS 7750. I have 3 remote sites and the Central site. My question is should i go for MGCP or H323. I heard that MGCP is simple to configure. Does MGCP supports SRST ? In case if WAN link failure than how the fallback will take place ? I read the documents and it says that it will fallback to H323. If it goes back to H323 than Should I use h323 or MGCP.

Thanks for the help

5 Replies 5

dweiner
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I prefer MGCP - faster call setup, which can be important depending on the latency to your remote sites, call survivability in event of CallManager server (SPE in your case) failure, administration more integrated with CallManager.

Yes, SRST works with MGCP - you configure in MGCP mode, then you administer SRST and dial-peers to accomodate WAN failure. In essence, you are configuring it *both* ways. When the remote gateway loses its MGCP connection to CallManager, it "falls back" into H.323 mode and uses dial-peers. When in MGCP mode it disregards the H323 dial-peers.

MGCP is very easy to configure - 5 steps is all in the gateway -

hostname

ip domain-name

ccm-manager mgcp

ccm-manager config server

ccm-manager config

mgcp

paul.harrison
Level 4
Level 4

If you can use MGCP then yes you should use it.

I prefer H.323 personally because it is easier to debug and it's supported on a wider range of gateways. I also think it's more flexible as you can manipulate calls before sending them to call manager.

However MGCP is easier to manage (it's all on Call Manager) and gateway configuration is much simpler.

Paul

Thanks for answering to my question. As you said I configured the call manager for MGCP. But when I trying to congiure the 4 port VIC 4FXS/DID , I am getting lot of option,Like FXO /FXS. I talked to someone and he told to use FXO for DID. Is that true ?

DID Mode does not support MGCP at this time. If you want to use MGCP, you will need to set them to FXS mode.

So how does a person set them to FXS mode? I am using 2 VIC 4FXS/DID cards in one MRP300. I have to use one card for DID and the other card for FXS. I have the card set up as H323. I can't find any commands that will let me make the card in slot 1 act like a FXS card instead of a DID card.