cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

multidirectory.asp with 7970

spiers
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone got multidirectory to work with the directories button on a 7970? I can get it to work with the directories button on a 7960 and it works fine as a service on a 7970. When I attempt to configure it for the directories button on a 7970 the directories show up but when I try to select one it quickly scrolls "requesting information" on the bottom of the screen but fails to switch over to the directory search page.

16 Replies 16

dhingst
Level 1
Level 1

I have the exact same problem on the new 7941 and 7961. Multidirectory.asp works fine on 7960/7940/7920 or on the 7941/7961 when setup as a service. I've heard others report the same problem on the 7970's just like you. This is really annoying, especially when I just ordered a bunch of the new phones and can't deploy them until this problem is fixed. (My users scream whenever the directory doesn't work as they expect.)

I have a case open with Cisco. The sent us the latest engineering special firmware but it didn't help.

I'll post something if I get an answer.

I've been doing some more digging, I went through the log files on my web server, I'll attach the results. I'm not a programmer so maybe what I found is not relavant but if you look at the file the first two (bold and then normal) are from a working 7960 first being directory button and second being as a service. the third and fourth are from a 7970, third being from the directory button and then as a service. If you look the two services look the same but when you compare the directory button push the difference I see is that the 7960 give device name and then locale while the 7970 gives locale and device name. When multidirectory is accessed as a service neither device name or locale are issued. Also the version of web client is different but if it works as a service I would think it would work as a directory button.

I've also been doing some digging. On a 7941 I reverted to an older version of firmware and multidirectory.asp worked find. After loading a few more versions I found that the last version that worked was 7.0(2)SR1. 7.0(3) on through 8.0(4)SR1 does not work. This verifies the phone will work and that it is a firmware problem. One of my guys has a case open with Cisco and he will pass this on to them.

You might try this as an experiment. Just put on an old firmware on a phone and see what happens. I don't have a 7970 around to try it myself but since the 7970/61/41 are similar java based devices I'm guessing you might have similar results.

I was looking at the log files myself and did notice the slight differences you mentioned.

I'm actually running 70.7-0-3-OS now, I'll try reverting to a previous version and see if that helps.

It worked, thanks for the idea. I had to revert to TERM70.7-0-2-OS on the 7970 but now multidirectory is working.

Hopefully the 7.0(2) release will work well enough. The bug database shows a bunch of bugs in that version but I haven't had a chance to go through them to make sure there isn't any show-stoppers. My guy has reported this info to Cisco and when they assign a bug number I'll post it so you can track it.

I also have the exact same problem with firmware version 8.2. Is there a fix for this yet without reverting to a previous firmware?

Not yet. Hopefully you have opened a TAC case? I think that is the only way Cisco is going to pay attention to this. The more cases the better. It seems to be a "no" priority since they keep telling us multidirectory is unsupported.

Logged a support call wondering why the directory wouldnt work on the 7941 and 7961s and it worked on the 7960. They said the SDK states that i was only for the 79x0 series of phones.

Didn't see this topic until I did a forum search. Now that we know its definately a firmware issue I will log a call again.

Is there any directory script that works on the 7941s or 7961s? For now I just have to run it as a "service"

I have a case open and just heard back. They say that even though it appears to be a firmware issue I have to take it up with developer support. They are supposed to determine why the script doesn't work on the new firmware. I sent the developers a note about this (developer-support@cisco.com) but have not heard back. I'm not sure that I will hear from them since I don't have a developer support contract.

This is the second time I've been sent to the developers about this. I was really hoping the phone guys would talk to them and they could work it out internally.

My only workaround so far is to run the older firmware. So far I've only had some minor issues but nothing that keeps me from deploying phones.

Great news! The script now works on my 7941/7961 with the latest firmware. A guy from the Developer Support group I had been in contact with before sent me an email verifying there is a problem with the firmware and it will be fixed in version 8.4. In the mean time there is a work-around. Just delete the line indicated.

Response.ContentType = "text/xml";

Response.Expires = -1; <== ** Delete this line **

var thisPage = "http://" + Request.ServerVariables("SERVER_NAME") + Request.ServerVariables("PATH_INFO");

var action = String(Request.QueryString("action").Item);

var dirId = Number(Request.QueryString("id").Item);

After that it works perfectly... almost. I noticed right away on a 7941 that if you do a search, press the Exit softkey and search again you get the same results back. You have to exit back to the menu then do your new search. A 7940 works as expected giving you the expected results each time. A minor issue.

So now I'm much happier than before! Thank you Developer Support.

Excellent news thanks for letting us know!! I ended up writing our own script and it turned out so similar to theirs I wondered what the differences was!!

Any ETA on 8.4 release?

No ETA was given.

Tested this on 7970 with FW 8.2-1S.

Works as describer above. Need to press the exit key twice.

Works fine on the 7940/60 without pressing the exit twice.

So I guess we will need to wait for FW 8.4 to have the final fix.