Views
Helpful
Replies

need honest advise for multiple line appearance

uttaran
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I am thinking to configure multiple lines on the same phone with one DN,for about 60 IP phones 7940.I am having a 7825 as my primary and another one as a backup.Need your honest judgement on this approach whether there are enough resurces are available to support this or not?

regds

Uttaran

7 Replies 7

emlee
Level 1
Level 1

Depending on your DIDs, I'd recommend having 7825 rolloer to 6825. 6825 would be an internal only extension.

LESTERCAM
Level 1
Level 1

Uttaran,

I did the follwoing for the receptionist: she has one 'real' number '9111' and that cascased on FB to free DN's which aren't seen by the outside world (the range 6xxx). So she can see when a second, third and so on, cal come sin when the primary line is busy. I am thus simlulating an Alcatel operator Console....

Regards, Leo Jo from Belgium.

ben
Level 1
Level 1

i would not recomend this. you can do it by putting the other "duplicate extension" in a differnt partitions. you would have to create a partition for every apperance of the DN. Then create a calling search space listing the new partition(s). in order of line.

d.gavin
Level 1
Level 1

We do this for all of our customers and it works very well.

We have the same DN appear on each line by placing each appearance of the DN in a seperate partition..... first appearance is in partion "L1", second in "L2", and so on.

This requires the creation of a Calling Search Space for each of these partitions...the L1 partition will have a corresponding CSS of "CSS_L1", partition L2 would have a CSS of "CSS_L2" and so on for each of the "Lx" partitions that you create. [ You are basically creating a CSS that only has the specific line partition as its only component. ]

In the phone design you will then have the CallForwardBusy forward to the DN in the next appropriate CSS.

Example:

Your first DN of 2501 would be created in partition "L1". In the CallForwardBusy you would enter 2501 as the number, then select a CSS of "CSS_L2".

Your second line on the phone would be the same DN(2501) in partition "L2"

NOTE: The key to making this work properly is to remember the proper CSS of DN's that are going to Voicemail or other ancillary applications or gateways. We typically keep all primary routing DN's in the "L1" partition which has the corresponding Calling Search Space of "CSS_L1".

Good Luck....

uttaran
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks all for your honest advise.Is there any limitations on the total no of partitions/ccs?

Regds

Uttaran

There are not any limitations in my example. You could design a 7960 phone with 2 sidecars attached for a total of 34 possible lines. You could have the same DN appear on all 34 line appearances using 34 different partitions and Calling Search Spaces. Send me an email with your phone number and I can talk you through the design.

KEITH DATRIO
Level 1
Level 1

Being new to VoIP I might be totally wrong but why not just build a hunt group and put all the lines on a 7940 into it. I use Hunt groups for all my receptionist phones and so far it works but I am always eager to hear other ways of doing things......