cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nested service policy in class-default.

mdross
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I'm wondering, if I have a nested service policy under class-default, do the configured class-default features apply to the traffic that matches classes within the nested service policy? That is, are the class-default features (marking in particular) "inherited" by traffic matching classes under the nested service policy? Or are they applied to that traffic before it goes through the service policy?

Here's an example. In the following, do the packets getting policed in the nested service policy have their frame relay DE bit set to 1 before they are policed, or are they policed by the nested service policy without the DE bit being set?

=====

access-list 101 permit ip host 1.2.3.4 host 3.4.5.6

class LOW_PRIORITY

match access-group 101

policy-map POLICED

class LOW_PRIORITY

police 100000

policy-map NESTED_POLICY

class class-default

fair-queue

fr-de

service policy POLICED

=====

Thank you for any insight.

2 Replies 2

ivillegas
Level 6
Level 6

For the sample configuration given all the packets come under class default are first marked, traffic which matches the child policy, will be policed. So the packets getting policed in the nested service policy have their frame relay DE bit set to 1 before they are policed. This can be seen from show policy interface output. So all class-default features are inherited by traffic matching classes under the nested service policy.

Show policy interface shows the total number of packets in class default and packets which match each general condition,

which will help in troubleshooting/verifying this.

Thanks! You're right on the money. Lacking answers, I set up a lab test, and found that the packets marked counter for fr-de in class-default (of the parent policy) matched the sum of the packets matched in all classes under the child/nested policy. Pretty clear from that. Indeed, it's show pol int that gives you that output. Single most valuable CFWFQ tuning command, I've found.