cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

put_version cannot be saved on security key

borisdecout
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to install unity 2.4.6-161 on a new system. Near the end of the install, the setup return the following error

"Field name put_Version could not be saved to security key"

The setup seems to read the key fine as it saw the serial number and the number of licenses / ports.

This key was working fine on a no name server in the lab before (I don't have that system anymore). I've tryied the install on an HP and a DELL server. I get the same error on both.

Could it be that the key is defective and need to be replaced. Or is it something coming from those server. I've played with all the parallel port option in the bios but no luck

Thanks

-Boris

3 Replies 3

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I guess it could be a bad key but the failure rates on the dongles are in the %0.2 range - a lot of dongles that get sent back as "broken" are fine on testing. The most common issue with the write through capabilities is the parallel port configuration but it sounds like you've hit on that already.

If you're in a jam you can install Unity without the key in demo mode and then add the key on to open the licenses - this works so long as you don't need languages/features not in the demo mode (i.e. a different TTS engine). If it's reading the key OK but just can't write through to it, this will work temproarily (presumably you'll still want to try a new key if you think that's the case).

I have another system in production right now. Can I take the key out (while it is running) and test it on the same computer to see if I get the same error.

Is it OK as long as I don't reboot unity or is the key accessed when is system is up and running?

-Boris

It's checked every so often but Unity wont shut down on you till midnight I believe - it SHOULD wait 72 hours before shutting down when the key goes missing when you're not started in demo mode but I believe there was a problem with that - as long as you don't leave it out over night you'll be fine.

Also, I assume the production system is the same version (i.e. 2.4.6). If it's a 3.x system, do NOT do this... the version will be written to it during the 2.4.6 update and the key will no longer work on your 3.x system - not good.