cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about Music on Hold

wrkemmer
Level 1
Level 1

I have a setup with publisher and subscriber. Both are configured as MOH servers. There is a media resource list configured that makes publisher the first choice for MOH and the subscriber second choice. My question is--when adding MOH audio sources for translation do I need to add the file to only the publisher for translation, and will the subscriber automatically grab this file from the publisher, or do I need to add the file manually to both servers?

(By "add the file" I mean drag the wav file into the DropMOH AudioFilesHere folder.)

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

dugrant
Level 4
Level 4

The translated MoH streams are copied to the TFTPPATH\MOH folder by the MoH Translator service. The MoH servers will then download the files via TFTP, and store them locally in their cisco\MOH folder.

As a follow up, does the MOH Translator Service need to run on the subscriber since the translation will occur on the publisher? The only reason I can think of is that this service needs to run to pull down the files from the publisher---or is the MOH Translator service not involved in this?

My concern is that I've read that the MOH Translator service should not run on a call processing server (subscriber) because the translation will take 100% of CPU. So, I'd like to turn off this service on the subscriber, but I won't if it is necessary to grab the files off of the publisher.

Thanks.

The CPU will only spike when its converting new mp3/wav files thats copied to the default drop folder...once this conversion takes place, moh doesnt really take that much cpu so you can really just leave the MOH Translator service on. I think the recommendation not to have that service running on processing servers is in case someone accidently dump lots of mp3 files in that folder (this is really just a guess)

No, the MoH translator service is not necessary on the sub's. It's job in life is to translate files and place them in the TFTPATH\MOH folder. The IP Voice Media Streaming App on the sub's will download the files.