cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Registration issues with vtech vcs754 3ed party SIP conference device

Jerry Reed
Level 1
Level 1

I am able the configure the device and it registers to cucm v 10.5. The registration status changes in about 2 minutes to un-registered. If I reboot the VCS754 it will register to cucm again but, as before, only stays registered about 2 minutes.

I have not found any .cop files or firmware related to these VTech VCS754 units that I can install to call manager.

Has anyone had success with this unit?

Thank you!

Here is a screen shot of the web gui on the device, configured for call manager and the end user and device configs:

vcs754gui.JPGcucm_enduser_vcs754gui.JPG

cucm_device_vcs754gui.JPG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

I had the same issue.  

I did a WIRESHARK trace and saw that the phone was not sending a registration message which is causing the phone to lose registration.

SIP Account Management > Account 1 > Registration > Expiration (secs) was set to 3600.  So the phone is sending out Registration messages every 1800 seconds.

Since the phone is dropping in 2 minutes

You can change the Expiration time to 220 (secs), the phone should send out a Registration Message every 110 seconds.  Or you can increase it closer to 120 seconds (2 minutes)

You can confirm the times of the Registration messages by doing a WIRESHARK capture and using the following as a display filter: sip.CSeq.method=="REGISTER"

This Registration message is basically a keep alive message.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You won't find any Cisco COP or firmware files for these as they are not Cisco devices, and are a 3rd Party SIP device.  

It's interesting that the manufacturer of these devices (vtech) doesn't list Cisco as one of their "supported" platforms.

But, for some basic troubleshooting of your issue, I'd start with checking that the vtech device is up to date with its firmware (available from vtech) and that any firewalls between the phone and your CUCM are configured to allow full communication between the two (2 minute connections sounds a lot like a firewall timeout).

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

I think this is a prime example of why you don't agree to let your customer supply their own equipment!

Anyway,

It turns out there is a "Session Timer" section in the vetch configuration. After trying multiple settings we found that Minimum Value = 90 secs and Max value = 1800 secs seems to work and the devices remain registered.

Thank you for your response Wayne.

Jerry Reed

on a quick note. whenever i integrate polycom/Lifesize or Avaya devices with CUCM or Expressway C, they always clash with Min-se timer and registration refresh timers. some times calls fail and you get an error "session timer too small ". these timers must match whenever there is Multi-vendor solution.

HTH
AMMAR

please rate and mark answered if helpful.

Hi Jerry,

I am experiencing the same issue with the same phone. My calls are also dropped within the 2 minute time frame and phone becomes unregistered. I enabled the and set the "Session Timer" as you described with no luck. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you for your time.

Q

Hi

I had the same issue.  

I did a WIRESHARK trace and saw that the phone was not sending a registration message which is causing the phone to lose registration.

SIP Account Management > Account 1 > Registration > Expiration (secs) was set to 3600.  So the phone is sending out Registration messages every 1800 seconds.

Since the phone is dropping in 2 minutes

You can change the Expiration time to 220 (secs), the phone should send out a Registration Message every 110 seconds.  Or you can increase it closer to 120 seconds (2 minutes)

You can confirm the times of the Registration messages by doing a WIRESHARK capture and using the following as a display filter: sip.CSeq.method=="REGISTER"

This Registration message is basically a keep alive message.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: