cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rename Subscriber

tlw
Level 1
Level 1

I need my Unity subscribers to have the same username etc in NT and Exchange as my Call Manager users. Unfortunately my unity users were created first with first initial and last name, call manager users were created later with full first name and sometimes first letter of last name. I know how to rename exchange and NT accounts - does that automatically change the name that Unity is attached to?<br><br>

6 Replies 6

Not applicable

If you change the display name in Exchange (I assume you're not messing with the alias and the like) that change will be reflected in Unity. We're actually showing you the Exchange display name in the SA, not a copy of it or anything.

After you change it in Exchange it may take 10 minutes or so before you see it that way in the SA since we cache user information in memory for speed reasons.

Also, if you change first/last names, you'll have problems with the DTMF representation of user's names over the phone. As long as you're only fiddling with the display name, you're in good shape.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Now I'm concerned.

Our company users Post titles for account names and not the users name. The same holds true for Exchange. The display name is also the post title and never changes. The first and last names are that of the person holding the post. The alias and email address is the users first initial and last name

When a user changes positions I change the names, alias, and email address on the Exchange server. what problems (if any)is this going to present for Unity?

Thank You
Paul

Not applicable

as long as you don't monkey with the alias on the default objects setup creates (i.e. the 4 default public distribution lists and Example Administrator) you should be fine.

the only gotcha is Unity needs to KNOW you changed the first/last names so we can recalculate the DTMF represenation of that spelled name. We wont know this if you change it in Exchange unless you go to that subscriber in the SA, change something and hit "save". You can "fool" us and just change something then change it back to force the "dirty" bit on the record. Once we save the record we always calculate the spelled name in DTMF format again and save it so we can do quick searches on it when folks are finding people in the alpha directory or for message addressing scenarios.

didn't mean to stress you out!

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

I just ran into this today. We had an employee leave and someone else come in to take his place.

Within Exchange the alias for every post is the users first initial and last name. (Network logons as well as mailboxes are identified by the post title) Accordingly I changed the first name, last name, alias and email address for this post. I then proceeded to change the information in Unity. However I could not pull up the users settings because Unity reports the user has been deleted (It can't find an Exchange user with the old alias). I then tried going the other way and changing Unity first, however I could not find a way to edit the Exchange alias associated with the Unity user.

At this point in somewhat stuck.

My guess is that I can change the exchange alias through the Doh Property Tester. In fact, under the call handler for this mailbox, I can see a field called AVP_Alias. I suspect that changing this value to the new alias is what I need to do. Is this correct?

I also see other values which reference the old alias (in some way or another). Would I need to do anything to these? They are:
AVP_Text_Name
AVP_Distinguished_Name
AVP_Object_ID (seem to remember that this should not be touched)

In addition there are two others which should reference the old alias but don't (because the employee that left was not the original employee to hold the post when we installed Exchange, he was however the first one to hold the post when we installed Unity. Those are:
AVP_Administrator_Object_ID
Recipent_Object_Id

I'm fairly certain that I never want to edit these either.

Does this sould about right?

Please disregard my last regards. I really need to read a litte better! I didn't wait long enough after changing the value in Exchnage before attempting to change Unity. Once I waited about 15 minutes Unity showed the new alias just fine.

I was apparently wrong about the value in Doh Property tester too since that was left unchanged.

Chalk this one up to a short between the chair and the keyboard.

Thank You.
Paul

Not applicable

After reading this thread, I am still having some problems with renaming a subscriber. A user got married and her last name changed. The Exchange Administrator changed her name in Exchange and the changes "migrated" to Unity just fine. The user changed her spoken name with no problems. BUT, when calling her with the alpha dialer it still has the entry for maiden name and not her married name. I tried to make and change to the subscriber settings and click save to update and recalculate the DTMF representation for the account. After a couple of minutes the alpha dialer directory is still not updated and her old entries are still there.

Any thoughts?