Views
Helpful
Replies

RTP Stream CISCO IP Phone

chp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have some questions about IP Phones and RTP Streaming technology.

I want to implement an 'alarm system software' which create a sound file from an alert message and send a RTPRx SoftKey to a set of phone.

So, what do i need ?

- a RTP Server ?

- a text to wav API

Does somebody have information about this ?

Does this technology work with 7920, 7940, 7960 ?

2 Replies 2

msaulters
Level 1
Level 1

I've been playing with RTPRx/RTPTx and MRTPRx and MRTPTx a bit lately. I haven't been able to find any software products that will take audio from the sound card, encode it and stream it. However, I think I've found a couple of ways to do it:

1) Feed your audio into the sound inputs from a 7970, which is admittedly rather expensive, or

2) Use the IP Communicator.

You'll need to run an idle service on either one that simply feeds audio using MRTPTx.

Although, the MOH server also can transmit audio in the case you just have a recorded alert. You could simply run an idle service on the phones that checks to see if an alarm has been issued, and if so, active MRTPRx on the multicast IP associated with a MOH source that has your alarm message.

Your assumptions are correct, you need an RTP server and a TTS engine. Or, settle for a number of pre-recorded alarm messages and broadcast those using an RTP server. As a starting point for RTP broadcasting, you can take my RTP server that you can find here: http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1dd5d0da

It can send RTP streams unicast or multicast using either a WAV file or the Mic input as source. In the case of an alarm, you could start that server, then push an RTPMRx: command to the phones that need to receive the alert.