cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP and SRST

kyam
Level 1
Level 1

Just found a new feature under the sip phone 4.2 that said SIP-SRST is supported. Does it mean SRST can take SIP phone now besides the skinny ? Which version of SRST can do it ?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2156/prod_release_note09186a0080132615.html#58498

2 Replies 2

benng
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

I don't think SRST routers will take SIP phones, meaning that the SIP phones at remote site will not "register" with the SRST router when their SIP proxy is not available.

The document you referenced stated that the SIP IP phone load 4.2 supports backup SIP proxy server. However, this backup SIP proxy server is not the SRSR router.

SRST router will always talk to the remote site IP phones via skinny only in case of a WAN failure, this implies that those phones needs to be skinny phones.

-ben

Backup proxy is nothing new. I tried it on 2.0. Even I could point the backup proxy to a SIP gateway. Don't know why it is counted as new feature in 4.2.

If it has nothing to do with the well known skinny based SRST, then the statement of this new feature is very confusing.