cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP and UDP Fragmentation ( Serial and Fastethernet )

Zayar Win
Level 1
Level 1

Dear VOIP Expert,

I have a doubt with VOIP. I have a serial link which is L3 MPLS VPN . Now, I have changed to L2 VPN  IEPL Link.

At this time, I have one problem with VOIP. I can not call to international. So I roll back to serial it is back to normal. And then I try again to IEPL link .

Still same error. So I have try several time . Still same error. In the meanwhile , I take the packet capture on my WAN Router interface.

I saw UDP Packet are being  fragmentation on IEPL link. When I change to Serial link there is no fragmentation. So, I suspect that SIP server do n't allowed the UDP fragmentation.

How can I solve this problem , My found   is  correct or not.

How can I find root cause for more specific troubleshooting.

Thanks and Regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You could try carrying SIP signalling traffic over TCP instead of UDP, like the article suggests. You would do that by configuring 'session transport tcp' on your dial-peers. It may not be supported by your service provider but worth a shot.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Zayar Win
Level 1
Level 1

Currently I am using serial link that we called as IPLC which is L3 MPLS VPN link. I am using both data and VOIP traffic on this link. So far ok but Link bandwidth is only 2 Mbps.

So we had hire 10 Mbps link from other ISP. That link technology is totally changed , they called as IEPL L2 VPN link. On this L2 VPN link , I also use data and  VOIP traffic . It is ok but I have encountered the problem with one CUCM can't call to international call. In the meanwhile , some voip pattern is still ok. But only that CUCM can't call to international call. In our Voice gateway have only one Public IP address. In the mean while , I can call international call with other VOIP Pattern. So I don't suspect to Routing issue.

When I roll back to serial link call is back to normal. I have tried several time change to IEPL link and Serial link , it is still same error.

So I had capture the packet on both serial and IEPL link .  In the capture file, I saw  ipv4 fragmentation on IEPL link . And I saw the fact SIP-UDP can't accept UDP fragmentation . I am not sure but I found on this blog.

http://blog.csrpswitch.com/sip-udp-fragmentation-and-kamailio-the-sip-he...

Thus, I suspect this IEPL link is drop my VOIP packet.

Please let me have your opinion what should I check for my problem.

Thanks you

You could try carrying SIP signalling traffic over TCP instead of UDP, like the article suggests. You would do that by configuring 'session transport tcp' on your dial-peers. It may not be supported by your service provider but worth a shot.

This answer is absolutely correct answer. I have change to protocol to TCP instead of UDP in voice gateway.

Very much thanks  Mr. Evgency Izetov