Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP/NAT/ATA 186 question - want to replace linksys with cisco

jljamison
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a customer using an ATA186 behind a linksys broadband router doing NAT. He gets one dynamic address from his cable internet provider (roadrunner).

I know there are issues using SIP in a NAT environment. The customer wants to replace his linksys with a Cisco 831. I am assuming that if the ATA works with the linksys today, it would work with the 831. Is this safe?

I don't see any specific functionality that the linksys offers that would overcome the SIP/NAT issues, so I am assuming that between the ATA and his service provider, those issues are resolved.

I'm pretty novice with regards to ip telephony, but want to be sure my customer won't have problems if he switches out the linksys in favor of the 831.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

fc
Level 1
Level 1

I'm currently using a Cisco 7960 SIP phone with a Cisco 806 router. The voice clarity is absolutely outstanding right over the Internet to points in Europe and the Middle East. Your client shoud love it.

Is the 831 capable of VLAN trunking?

F C Wood

fc@wood.org

Hi,

Are you behind a router performing NAT? Is the voice gateway on the other side of the router? I believe this setup delineates the issues I am trying to address, but glad to hear that the router works well with SIP phones.

Thanks

John

john.jamison@whitehawk-tech.com

Im facing registration problem in My 7960 ,It wil register some time . but even its register im not able to make any calls . I have NAT in my Network . but when i m using Linksys phone it wil work perfectly .Cisco phone not getting responce form the SIP server .How can i resolve this issue .

Thanks

Prajoth Janadas