cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Soft phone takes over port 80?

pawprintjj
Level 1
Level 1

I'm using Cisco IP Communicator 2.0.1.1. When the software is running, it listens on port 80 (HTTP) and as a result my local IIS no longer gets any traffic because Communicator intercepts it. Is there any way to turn this off? I absolutely must have my local IIS working, and I'll be forced to go to a hard phone if this can't be solved.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

TAC is the Cisco Support group (Technical Assistance Center).

Just taking a look through some reg traces, it looks like you can disable the web service on CIPC by importing the following reg file:

-----------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cisco Systems, Inc.\Communicator]

"WebServerDisabled"=dword:00000001

-----------------------

Still chasing if you can change the port.

HTH

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

that's a tough one. I don't think you can change the default port for the IPC.. you could on your IIS, change the webport to something else.

For instance: http://localhost:88/index.html

It would then use Port 88 for your IIS functions you need and leave IPC to Port 80.

Yes, I thought of that. What an incredible pain that would be. I'd have to change every link in the application, and as such I don't consider it an option. Why in the world does the phone software listen to port 80 to begin with? Am I the only developer who has ever installed both this soft phone and IIS?

you could check with TAC on this and see if there is a workaround for this. I looked in the registry, CallManager, any INI files, nothing that points to Port 80, or how it works.

I know on CCM, TomCat services takes over from IIS on Port 80. And also, typically Cisco has problems with multiple TomCat services trying to run or if I have a TomCat service running, I can't have an IIS service running on the same box... go figure.

I would check TAC

Uh...TAC? I'm completely new here and have no idea what that is.

TAC is the Cisco Support group (Technical Assistance Center).

Just taking a look through some reg traces, it looks like you can disable the web service on CIPC by importing the following reg file:

-----------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cisco Systems, Inc.\Communicator]

"WebServerDisabled"=dword:00000001

-----------------------

Still chasing if you can change the port.

HTH

That registry entry did it. Thank you very much! I should have thought of tracing the registry values the program examined as it started up. I've solved other problems doing that.

nice call! I hunted through the registry, but must have missed that key.

The key isn't there by default. I assume nathan used something like SysInternals's RegMon to "spy" on the registry values that Communicator checks when it starts and discovered that it was looking for that one. Like I said, I shoulda thoughta that!

Yep, used Regmon to watch Communicator start up and it looks for the webserverdisabled key. It isn't there by default.

Glad to hear it helped.

Has anyone noticed that the app reads this key about every 10th of second while it's running? This doesn't seem normal to me. Plus it would be nice to figure out how to change the port.

Also, where should I go for updated versions of it? Mine keeps hanging my machine every now and then when I close it. Mouse keeps working but I'm not able to click or start any other progs. usually have to hard reset my box.

procmon shows this:

"Sequence","Time of Day","Process Name","PID","Operation","Path","Result","Detail"

"55282","1:27:02.6249521 PM","Communicator.exe","3012","RegQueryValue","HKLM\SOFTWARE\Cisco Systems, Inc.\Communicator\WebServerDisabled","SUCCESS","Type: REG_DWORD, Length: 4, Data: 1"

"55283","1:27:02.6249965 PM","Communicator.exe","3012","RegCloseKey","HKLM\SOFTWARE\Cisco Systems, Inc.\Communicator","SUCCESS",""

"55284","1:27:02.6250083 PM","Communicator.exe","3012","RegOpenKey","HKLM\SOFTWARE\Cisco Systems, Inc.\Communicator","SUCCESS","Desired Access: Read"

"55285","1:27:02.6250289 PM","Communicator.exe","3012","RegQueryValue","HKLM\SOFTWARE\Cisco Systems, Inc.\Communicator\WebServerDisabled","SUCCESS","Type: REG_DWORD, Length: 4, Data: 1"

"55286","1:27:02.6250731 PM","Communicator.exe","3012","RegCloseKey","HKLM\SOFTWARE\Cisco Systems, Inc.\Communicator","SUCCESS",""

"55312","1:27:02.6343363 PM","Communicator.exe","3012","RegOpenKey","HKLM\SOFTWARE\Cisco Systems, Inc.\Communicator","SUCCESS","Desired Access: Read"

"55313","1:27:02.6343835 PM","Communicator.exe","3012","RegQueryValue","HKLM\SOFTWARE\Cisco Systems, Inc.\Communicator\WebServerDisabled","SUCCESS","Type: REG_DWORD, Length: 4, Data: 1"

"55314","1:27:02.6344843 PM","Communicator.exe","3012","RegCloseKey","HKLM\SOFTWARE\Cisco Systems, Inc.\Communicator","SUCCESS",""

"55315","1:27:02.6344977 PM","Communicator.exe","3012","RegOpenKey","HKLM\SOFTWARE\Cisco Systems, Inc.\Communicator","SUCCESS","Desired Access: Read"

"55316","1:27:02.6345218 PM","Communicator.exe","3012","RegQueryValue","HKLM\SOFTWARE\Cisco Systems, Inc.\Communicator\WebServerDisabled","SUCCESS","Type: REG_DWORD, Length: 4, Data: 1"

"55317","1:27:02.6345681 PM","Communicator.exe","3012","RegCloseKey","HKLM\SOFTWARE\Cisco Systems, Inc.\Communicator","SUCCESS",""

"55318","1:27:02.6345801 PM","Communicator.exe","3012","RegOpenKey","HKLM\SOFTWARE\Cisco Systems, Inc.\Communicator","SUCCESS","Desired Access: Read"

"55319","1:27:02.6346014 PM","Communicator.exe","3012","RegQueryValue","HKLM\SOFTWARE\Cisco Systems, Inc.\Communicator\WebServerDisabled","SUCCESS","Type: REG_DWORD, Length: 4, Data: 1"