Views
Helpful
Replies

SoftPhone Problem on CCM4.0(1)

etayeb_dd
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I recently installed CCM4.0(1) and integrated it with my AD. Now I want to deploy a number of SoftPhones (1.3.4 with TSP 4.0). However some users do not see the lines I configured on the CCM, although the CTI device is properly configured and the users do have CTI permission.

The eventlog of the CCM says the following when one of those users tries to start SoftPhone:

Error: kCtiProviderOpenFailure - CTI application failed to open provider

CTIconnectionId: 40

Login User Id: gw

UNKNOWN_PARAMNAME:ReasonCode: 2362179680

IPAddress: [IP-of-user]

App ID: Cisco CTIManager

Cluster ID: StandAloneCluster

Node ID: [Name-of-CCM]

Explanation: Application is unable to open provider.

Recommended Action: Check the reason code and correct the problem. Restart CTIManager if problem persists..

I found a posting saying this was a problem in CCM3.1, but since I am using CCM4.0(1), what can I do?

Help!

Regards,

E. Tayeb

9 Replies 9

JASON NIELSEN
Level 1
Level 1

Under the "Device Association" field in the user set up make sure they are associated to their extension.

Make sure the correct TSP is also installed.

Why would you want to install Softphone when IPCommunicator is available. It is alot better. IMO

The users are correctly associated with the respective softphone device. I have installed the TSP that came with the CCM4. Also only SOME users cannot use the SoftPhone, most can without problems.

I want to use TSP/SoftPhone because later I want to implement dialling numbers from my Outlook contacts, and for that I need TSP.

So go ahead and install the TSP and you can still use the IP Communicator. I just placed a call from my Outlook Contacts (right click call contacts) and the IPC dialed the number for me. What's even better is Outlook is running on one PC and IPC is running on a different PC, and the call contacts still works.

Lee

Lee,

I'm interested in the point you make about communicator being on a different PC.

From using communicator, I can't see how it can be anything other than on a different PC.

The Cisco TSP starts as soon as the PC starts, and requests the line info from Call Manager, at which point communicator is not running, so the lines on communicator are not available.

Once you start communicator there is no way of getting TAPI to pick up the lines without re-starting the telephony service, however there appears to be no way to restart the telephony service without re-booting the machine, which of course kills communicator.

SO whilst communicator may be good, it does have it's own problems, and TAPI is one of them. At least softphone can re-initialize the Cisco TSP without re-starting the Telephony service, something that is not possible without softphone..

Paul

Installing IPC is not an option. I have licenses for SoftPhone only. We are not planning to purchase IPC any time soon.

So, can anyone help me with my original problem?

If the user "Login User Id: gw" has the CTI Port associated then I would make sure the user typed in the correct password in the Softphone configuration. If this is correct then Detailed CTI Manager traces will help determine the failure.

Kev

Detailed CTI Manager traces show error

CTI|LDAP userid is 'gw'|<:STANDALONECLUSTER><:SRVNAME>

CTI|LdapDeviceList::AuthenticateUser():UMException(49)|<:STANDALONECLUSTER><:SRVNAME>

CTI|LdapDeviceList::AuthenticateUser():exit(CTI_USER_CREDENTIAL_FAILED)|<:STANDALONECLUSTER><:SRVNAME>

but user password is correct, the user is able to logon to the domain without problems.

This particular user has been deleted from unity and re-imported because of an abortive import due to admincount=1. I assume that the account has been tagged somehow or that there are left-overs.

Any hint in that direction?

Can the user log into their CCMUser page?

I would start by capturing the LDAP packets from the CCM. This may provide more details for the login failure.

Kevin

Hello!

No, the users can NOT access the ccmuser page. The users themselves are perfectly working.

Capturing the LDAP packages did only reveal that the users do not possess the necessary credentials. But they do!!!!