cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Transcoder

cairns-a
Level 1
Level 1

I have set up a 2650 to do transcoding and conference. I followed the documentation and the conference works. The transcoder does not. I have an IP phone on the WAN that needs to call a G711 icd port on the LAN. When I call from the WAN phone the call goes through but at g711. I looked at the trace log and did not find where the transcoder ever stepped in. So, it appears that the call manager does not see the transcoder. But the transcoder is setup in the call manager. Any suggestions on troubleshooting this?

Thanks in advance.

Trae

6 Replies 6

bphelps
Level 2
Level 2

You might check your regions on Call Manager. See if in the phone's region the region the phone is calling to is set to g.711 or g.729. You want it set to g.729, assuming th ICD can only do g.711. This way CM invokes a transcoder to negotiate the codec in the middle.

I changed my regions. The wan region has g729 for the icd. The icd region has g729 for the wan region (was set when I changed the wan region). I changed the region the transcoder is in to talk g711 to icd and g729 to wan. When I call from the wan to the icd, it hits one of the icd numbers and gives me a busy signal. If I do ?? on the phone it does not show any codec on TX/RX. I tried to debug the transcoder router but did not see anything come through. I still think it is something to do with call manager, but I not sure where to look.

Thanks for your help. Any other sugguestions would be greatly appreciated.

Trae

You can check that the phone and the icd are assigned media resource groups that contain the transcoder in question.

Also, is the icd doing g.711 mu law? I believe it needs to do that as opposed to a-law or some other variation.

Also, is the transcoder actually registering with call manager? I think on the transcoder it is something like "sh sccp".

I only have one media resource group, so both are in the same group.

I am using g.711 mu law.

I can do a sho sccp and see that the transcoder is active with the call manager.

I did a test call and then looked at the trace log. It shows that StationD was unable to connect to the MTP. So this is a call manager issue that it does not see the transcoder?

I am sure there is one small piece I am missing or do not have configured correctly.

Trae

Check that the media resource group list does not contain any other transcoders or MTPs (call Manager has a software MTP I think). I don't know if this is necessary, but it is worth a try.

Thanks for your help. For some reason on Friday this started to work. I am a little concern about it just starting to work. I am thinking that for some reason the call manager did not see the transcoder. On Friday something must of triggered the call manager to see the transcoder. I will keep an eye on the call manager over the next day or two.

Thanks again for your help

Trae