Views
Helpful
Replies

Translation pattern with wildcards.

gregsporton
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm having a strange problem with translation patterns on a customer site using ccm 3.3.3. They have a remote site that uses extensions 8700-8799. I need to force calls from the head office offnet to the remote site whilst they wait for a WAN upgrade.

In order to achieve this I added a translation pattern as below:

If someone dials 87xx, prefix 06281 to the number, thus forcing the call offnet. The only problem is that it doesn't work and the number is not expanded.

However if I add a translation pattern specifically for one of the remote extensions without wildcards, eg 8710, the translation works as expected.

Any ideas????

3 Replies 3

mcotrone
Level 3
Level 3

This is a normal situation because the CCM routes calls with the longest exact digit match. The real phone numbers of 8700-8799 have a longer match than the 87XX wildcard entry.

Basically with a CSS the callmanager searchs through partitions. When the CSS finds the 87XX it continues to search on since it is a wildcard thus finding the longest match of digits at 8700 - 8799. This is normal processing for Call Manager.

I usually will add the translation pattern like you are doing and then Create a temporary Partition called (migrate-pt). I would then use BAT to add the phone lines of 8700-8799 from the exising internal (all phones) partition to this migrate-PT. Make sure you DO NOT ADD the migrate-PT to any of your normally used CSS's. The goal of this is when the CSS searches for the 8700-8799 it ONLY finds the translation pattern that is sitting in the internal (all phones) partition instead of finding the 8700-8799 phone lines.

Think of this as taking your phone line 8700-8799 and moving them from your normal dialing plan to a seperate no-routable dialing-plan.

Then once you are ready to move the phone lines back over you can again use BAT to move 8700-8799 to the normal internal (all phones) partition.

Let me know if this makes sense.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

Makes perfect sense to me, no different to IP routing really! Pitty there is no admin distance you can add to extensions :)

Thank-you for the info, I'll give this a go in the lab then have a chat with the customer.

Thanks again,

Greg.

Exactly like routing Greg! Longest Match :)

email me at mcotrone@netdsi.com if you have any other questions about this in the lab.

Mike