cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 3.1.5 Codec Issue:

steve0216
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently running Unity v. 3.1.5 against Callmanager v. 3.2.3. We are currently trying to design for a mixed usage G.711 / G.729 environment, whereas 711 will be used for local (LAN) traffic, 729 will be used (hopefully) on WAN traffic.

Currently I would like some clarification on two questions:

Unity currently is running g.729a - TSP v. 7.0.2; This allows Unity to transcode between 711, and 729 INCOMING: Does this also allow for Unity to negotiate outbound, via the Regions settings, in Callmangler? Basically we are seeing something to the contrary, and would like confirmation that this is the case. Currently the Unity Region within Callmanager is set to speak 711, with all other regions, and it is not: (it's speaking 729a)

Also - Is there a Tool, to monitor current Codec usage, on the ports, as Unity is answering calls? Basically - we need to confirm where the codec's are being transcoded, and whether or not Unity is doing the transcoding, or it is occuring elsewhere. IE: I need to know what Unity is "speaking" currently.

Cheers;

-Steve Kissel-

2 Replies 2

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

Yes Unity can transmit out in g.729. CallManager controls the codec negiation so you might want to check the CCM traces. During call setup, all ends points tell CallManager what they can support and then CallManager tells them what codec to transmit in and what IP address to transmit.

On the 4.0(3) CD in the utilities folder there is a program called AudioStat. You can run that and it will give you real time data on which codec is being used.

BrianChernish
Level 1
Level 1

A couple of simple tests might help you. Place a call to Unity from any phone and while listening to the promps/messages, 2 quick pushes of the ? key on the phone will give you stats for the current call, including the Codec in use. Alternatively you could do a "show voice call summary" (assuming you have an MGCP gateway) during active calls to Unity and it will show you the Codec in use.