Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity voicemail to email - issue with SMTP relay

alex1988
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am trying to forard the voicemails to the end user's email. I have followed the steps, I have set up the smart host with the SMTP relay server IP, which relays the messages with the from field being voicemail@mydomain.com.

When a user (let's say User A) receives a voicemail from an external line, everything works fine. User A gets an email from voicemail@mydomain.com as it should.

However, when User A receives a voicemail from an internal line belonging to User B (User B is imported from AD), then User A does not receive an email. The reason is that in this case, the email's from field is not voicemail@mydomain.com, but userb@mydomain.com and the SMTP relay cannot process it.

So, my question is how can I modify the from field to always be voicemail@mydomain.com instead of each user's personal email?

Thank you!

3 Replies 3

Kathy N.
VIP
VIP

Instead of changing the from field to be a specific email address, I believe you can make it so any emails from @mydomain.com are sent.  We have our system set up this way and it works well.  Emails from internal users include the persons name and their phone number which makes replying much easier for our users.  

Response Signature

alex1988
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Kathy, thank's for your response.

That would work too, but I guess this should be configured on the smtp relay, correct?

Is there anything that could be done from the CUC side?

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

CUC cannot be configured to do what you’re asking for. You may be able to adjust the email infrastructure to accept those emails but that’s outside the scope of this forum.

CUC was not designed to use the exact same domain as your email infrastructure though - and that’s likely what is tripping up the smart host. CUC belongs on a subdomain such as voicemail.mydomain.com. And to be clear: I mean the SMTP mail daemon of CUC, not the server DNS FQDN. This isn’t as easy to pull off when email is in the cloud but the design intent was to configure your email infrastructure to route internal SMTP traffic (be careful to block external; CUC has no SPAM filter) for the subdomain to CUC. When email arrives CUC will inspect it to determine if it’s a new voicemail message, voicemail reply/forward (eg ViewMail client), or normal email (eg user hit reply and typed out a massage). It will keep the first two and automatically relay the third to the Corporate Email Address of the user’s mailbox after rewriting the to address (mydomain.com).