cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VG248 with VG200 Fax

adignan
Level 8
Level 8

I have a credit card machine and faxes going into a VG248. I am using a VG200 with a PRI as the gateway. When I initially tested the credit card machine and the faxes they would connect but then drop off soon after. I then changed the "fax rate" on the voip dial-peer to be "voice" and I changed the "information-type" to fax on the voip-dial peer as well. After those changes everything worked fine. Voice calls worked fine as well. Am I fine in keeping it the way it is or will the "information-type fax" hurt my voice calls?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

rickb
Level 3
Level 3

First, you should be fine the way you are, if you are uncomfortable having your dial-peers setup that way, you may create specific dial-peers for the fax numbers. Other than that, the gateway has some detection routines that it is doing to determine whether the call is voice or fax.

Personally, I think it is "fax rate" command that fixed your problem. When you put voice on there you opened up the fax relay speed to use the highest speed possible (14.4kbps). The "information-type fax" is primarily used with T.37 and fax store and forward protocols.

Rick

adignan
Level 8
Level 8

Thanks for the reply. It is good to know that it is fine the way it is. I was thinking I would maybe create a different dial-peer for the faxes. I am not sure it was the "information-type" or the "fax rate" command. Reason being is that the credit card machine is at 300 baud and it was not working even with the "fax rate voice" command. It only began working when the "information-type fax" command was issued. Any ideas if a 300 baud connection would have trouble maintaining a connection?