cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VMO issue

rick.bowers
Level 1
Level 1

I have a few users (out of about 400) that when attempting to play vmails to their IP phone, no vmail is played. The phone does ring but when it's answered, the mouse pointer stays in an hour glass state for about 40 sec. locking up Outlook during that time. Most of the time, the play icon within the vmail goes from the pause symbol back to the play icon as soon as the phone is answered. All workstations are Win2k, Outlook 2K using IP phones. I've tried the VMO stripper, reinstalling the latest VMO, running the detect and repair within Outlook. Also checked to make sure all components, such as CDO, were installed on installation of Office. All these users are also administrators of their own system and should have full rights to the registry. I'm stuck. Any hints on a plan of attack to locate where the breakdown is?

21 Replies 21

Ade,

All of the issues I encountered I traced back to the Cisco VPN Client installed on the machine.

Is this installed in your case?

Rick

Hi Rick,

I'm so sorry it has taken me this long to reply your post. There was some other nagging issues at work.

I traced the problem back to a new feature pack for the Checkpoint Secure VPN Client installed on some of the machines. Apparently, VMO does not seem to function properly with either Feature Pack 3 or 4. Feature pack 2 does not give us any operations issues.

What's really strange to me is the fact that there is no ambiguity at layer 3 i.e no multiple IP addresses or duplicate routes present. It seems like this is something about the application itself.

I talked to our Sysadmin department and since there are no particular reasons to use the new feature packs, our current solution is to revert to Feature Pack 2.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,

Ade

chris.schuerger
Level 1
Level 1

I am having the reverse of your problem. I have one user who can't play back a voicemail through the PC's speakers, but playback to the phone works just fine. I have tried removing and re-installing the VMO outlook plugin. I have tried forwarding a VM to a Domain admin account and logging on to this same machine with that account and no luck. I hit play and the play button changes to PAUSE then back to PLAY quickly, and the status bar never moves across the screen.

Anybody ever run into this?

Hi Chris,

No I have not experienced this. However, judging from the discussions on this post, it is my suggestion that you get a test machine that mirrors both the software and hardware configuration of theproblematic machine. As long as TRAP works fine, I guess the problem is on the local machine. Try eliminating strange audio codecs, antvirus software and security software (VPN Clients, Personal firewalls etc.) to pin-point the problem.

Regards,

Ade

Hi everyone,

It seems that there may be a software conflict between Checkpoint's VPN-1 secure client (Feature packs 3 and 4) and VMO. This conflict does not exist with Feature Pack 2/VMO combination.

With Feature Pack 2 and VMO installed, the voice mail plays back to the phone and PC speakers from outlook. With Feature Packs 3 and 4 installed with VMO, the user can playback voice mail through the PC speakers only.

My immediate guess is that the bindings created by Feature Packs 3 and 4 to the network adapters is a lot more stringent than for Feature pack 2. Has anyone else experienced this issue before? Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks and best regards,

Ade

hi

yes. i am having a very similar problem with active assistant play back over the phone and some laptops and narrowed it down to the checkpoint client. i thought it may be a problem with DCOM because it uses dynamic port assignment but opening up all ports did not help. i would be very grateful of any information you have about the problem. thanks james carter.

Hi there,

We are in the same boat, my friend. I do not have the foggiest idea what could be blocking playback on the phone.

I believe that the issue may be more fundamental than the ports being opened. The reason for my analogy is that I do not think there has been a change to the fundamental operation of the Checkpoint application (ports used etc.) since a lower feature pack works. I believe the issue is probably related to layer 3 connectivity.

The phone and the computer are on different vlans and therefore on different networks. Could there be something that the VPN client does to prevent connectivity from a network other than the local network?

Hopefully, some of the good people from Cisco will be able to shed some light on this issue :-)

Regards,

Ade