cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VOIP Long Distance Provider with Cisco Gateway PRI

NPT_2
Level 2
Level 2

I am looking into the possibility of using a Long Distance VOIP Provider such as Vonage, or BroadVoice to eliminate per minute fees on outbound calls from our IP Phone and/or legacy PBX. What I would like to know is has anyone done this using a Cisco VOIP Gateway (such as a 2800 or 3800 router with a PRI voice card). If anyone has done this and has any insight that would be great.

3 Replies 3

ptalbot
Level 1
Level 1

It is my understanding that even the higher level offerings from Vonage and other VOIP providers are aimed at the home office worker and are analog in nature. I haven't seen anything on the Vonage website about a digital offering (PRI or CAS T1) of any kind. That being said...go ahead and use a FXO interface and crunch all you want. Or....beat your hand with a hammer....both will probably yield similar results... ;-) Seriously...to pay the kind of money you would pay to Vonage for a single voice path to the PSTN, you would have to be using a TON of long distance to CANADA for it to make any sense at all. Not saying it would NEVER make sense, just that your application would have to be very specific in order for the scenario be worth the hassle.

Good Luck!

Pat

zodell
Level 1
Level 1

I have done this exact thing with the Cisco AS5400. I have 4 PRI's from my 5ESS dumped into the Cisco boxs and then sent out across the Internet to the company providing the Tandem switching to the end office. Works really good with about 1 - 2 hours of config and testing.

The thought for this was order 23 trunks to interconnect via PRI to our main PBX, then rather than paying per minute rates for long distance, just pay the monthly flat per line fees $30-$50 per month per line for business use depending on what voip provider we go with. Zodell, what company are you using for your provider? It sounds like it is working great for you.