cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the difference bewteen MCU, VCS and ISR (DSP 3)

Hi All,

We're running CUCM 9.X. I want to integrate Cisco 9971, 8945 with TP Endpoint (EX60 and Tandberg C40). I read this wonderful document (https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-30750) but still I have some doubt.

What is the difference bewteen MCU, VCS and ISR (DSP 3). For what I know, ISR running DSP3 is the chepaiest option but I'm not sure if HD Video is supported.

Thansk in regards

Please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.
Favor calificar todos las respuestas útiles dando click en las estrellas de mas abajo.

Accepted Solutions

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi There

as per the document you are referring to which I posted prevously

VCS is a call control system like call manager but for video end points only, while CUCM is for both voice and video and now it is becoming very mature call control system for video communications with native support for many video end points registations

MCU is a hardware that can be used to host multi point/party video calls that can be registered to CUCM or VCS depending on the design

ISR with DSP/PVDM 3 is the same concept of the MCU but can be used for small multi-point calls and normally for remote sites that need local hosting to a call to reduce the load on the WAN link when most of the participant from the same location for example ! and it dose support HD but limited capabilities compared to MCU

for example PVDM3 doe not support HD when participants are expected to use different video formats

hope this help

View solution in original post

to my knowledge there is no support currently for direct VCS-E to CUCM and in this case you need VCS-C

hope this help

if helpful rate

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi There

as per the document you are referring to which I posted prevously

VCS is a call control system like call manager but for video end points only, while CUCM is for both voice and video and now it is becoming very mature call control system for video communications with native support for many video end points registations

MCU is a hardware that can be used to host multi point/party video calls that can be registered to CUCM or VCS depending on the design

ISR with DSP/PVDM 3 is the same concept of the MCU but can be used for small multi-point calls and normally for remote sites that need local hosting to a call to reduce the load on the WAN link when most of the participant from the same location for example ! and it dose support HD but limited capabilities compared to MCU

for example PVDM3 doe not support HD when participants are expected to use different video formats

hope this help

Thanks for the answer (+5).

I have one more question. Can I integrate a VCS Express with CUCM 9.X + MCU (without VCS Control)?

Favor calificar todos las respuestas útiles dando click en las estrellas de mas abajo.

to my knowledge there is no support currently for direct VCS-E to CUCM and in this case you need VCS-C

hope this help

if helpful rate

Thanks my friend for your help .

Regards