Views
Helpful
Replies

Why PRI Bachhauling?

rnarayana
Level 5
Level 5

Hello ,

What is the use of PRI backhauling in MGCP.

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

ROBERT Clark
Level 1
Level 1

In the context between Call Manager and a voice gateway using MGCP.

When terminating an ISDN PRI connection on a gateway, the Q.931 messages from the PSTN are backhauled via TCP to Call Manager for processing.

My understanding of why this is done is due to the master/slave relationship between endpoints in MGCP. All intelligence resides in the Call Agent (i.e Call Manager), not the gateways. As opposed to H.323, which assumes each endpoint possess a full or near full "knowledge" of the H.323 protocol suite. Since Q.931 manages call set up/ call tear down, it is logical to assume these functions should be processed on the device with the intelligence (i.e Call Agent).

hth,

Rob

Rob is correct, and PRI Backhauling is enabled by default on MGCP-controlled PRI. It establishes a tcp link to port 2428 on the Callmanager and communicates all D-channel Q931 signaling information with CallManager for call processing. This also means that the gateway will not bring up the D-channel unless it can communicate with Cisco CallManager to backhaul the Q.931 messages contained in the D-channel. In a MGCP gateway, give the command "show ccm" to find whether the PRI backhaul connection is active.