Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Nexus vs Catalyst Switch in Enterprise environment

buraksahin1905
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone

I have a question regarding the comparison of Catalyst and Nexus switch, I know that Nexus is for data center, architecture is different etc. I want to buy Core layer switch for my Enterprise Tier 3 network topology. For budget purposes, I currently use certified refurbished Catalyst 3850 12X48U for dist. layer.

I want to buy Core layer and think of Nexus N3K-C3064PQ-10GX  and 3850 24XS. For performance view, Nexus is beast. So, can I use Nexus switch in my topology? I just need basic L2 options for core layer (out of recommended option by Cisco), and high speed. Also refurbished Nexus sw is way more cheaper than. Catalyst. Should I need license to use basic functions of Nexus? 

thank you for every response

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco has a different portfolio in terms of switching - between DC network switching and Enterprise LAN.

Its all depends on the network of Core what kind traffic in the network

Cisco's point of view for Core enterprise suggested

Cat 9500 / Cat 9600  

Access LAN - Cat 9300/Cat9200 (if you looking for a Modular you can use Cat 9400 for distribution or access too)

Again its all depends on the use case, Nexus 3K (more of Low Latency DC switches) - so better read the datasheet before you invest anything on the hardware  (personally i would not advise for Core Enterprise LAN)

Cisco cat 3850 is a good model (but they going to end of Life soon, so watch out) some Small businesses do use Cat 3850 with an advanced feature set for collapsed Core - Cat 3850 with a basic Layer 2 License for access also.

Also refurbished Nexus sw is way cheaper than. Catalyst   <-- yes you get in the market, it required good environment and cooling place- make lot of noise and also features are expensive.

Catalyst. Should I need a license to use the basic functions of Nexus?   <<- both License model is different (you can not mix)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

With good price and your requirements check catalyst 9000 series, this is upgrade of 3850 series. 

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco has a different portfolio in terms of switching - between DC network switching and Enterprise LAN.

Its all depends on the network of Core what kind traffic in the network

Cisco's point of view for Core enterprise suggested

Cat 9500 / Cat 9600  

Access LAN - Cat 9300/Cat9200 (if you looking for a Modular you can use Cat 9400 for distribution or access too)

Again its all depends on the use case, Nexus 3K (more of Low Latency DC switches) - so better read the datasheet before you invest anything on the hardware  (personally i would not advise for Core Enterprise LAN)

Cisco cat 3850 is a good model (but they going to end of Life soon, so watch out) some Small businesses do use Cat 3850 with an advanced feature set for collapsed Core - Cat 3850 with a basic Layer 2 License for access also.

Also refurbished Nexus sw is way cheaper than. Catalyst   <-- yes you get in the market, it required good environment and cooling place- make lot of noise and also features are expensive.

Catalyst. Should I need a license to use the basic functions of Nexus?   <<- both License model is different (you can not mix)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Each network is different.  No two are alike. 

Do not look at the price.  Look at each model individually.  Make a list of what your want and what is in your core network and see if they matches with either one.  

When in doubt, always invite a systems integrator for a chat.

buraksahin1905
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you everyone for your replies. I really appreciate it  

You are so so welcome

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card