cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus Upgrade 5.1.5 Pre-Upgrade check failed

alanjbrown
Beginner
Beginner

I'm looking to upgrade from 4.2.4 to 5.1.5 and after running the impact command got the following message:

show install all impact kickstart bootflash:///n7000-s1-kickstart.5.1.5.bin system bootflash:///n7000-s1-dk9.5.1.5.bin

Pre-Upgrade check failed. Return code 0x40930062 (free space in the filesystem is below threshold)

Does anyone know what this might mean? and how to resolve?

Secondly, the release document have been updated (6/10/2011) to show that there is an ISSU upgrade from 4.2.6 or 4.2.8 but no mention of 4.2.4.

Can anyone advise what's going to happen when I go from 4.2.4 to 5.1.5?

thks,

Al

11 Replies 11

alanjbrown
Beginner
Beginner

I have investigated further and found the following issue:

show system internal log install detail

check_freespace: /var/sysmgr total blocks: 262144, free blocks: 0, space being used: 100%

fsm_action_pre_verification: Free space in "/var/sysmgr" partition is below threshold: 80

check_freespace: /var/sysmgr total blocks: 262144, free blocks: 0, space being used: 100%
fsm_action_pre_verification: Free space in "/var/sysmgr" partition is below threshold: 80

show system internal flash

Mount-on                  1K-blocks      Used   Available   Use%  Filesystem

/var/sysmgr                 1048576   1048576           0    100   none

See

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Cisco_Nexus_7000_Series_NX-OS_Troubleshooting_Guide_--_Troubleshooting_Memory

I will look into getting this file cleared.

I have also run install check on another N7K and this shows non-disruptive upgrade from 4.2.4 to 5.1.5 however I would still like to see this confirmed.

Compatibility check is done:
Module  bootable          Impact  Install-type  Reason
------  --------  --------------  ------------  ------
     2       yes  non-disruptive       rolling 
     3       yes  non-disruptive       rolling 
     4       yes  non-disruptive       rolling 
     5       yes  non-disruptive         reset 
     6       yes  non-disruptive         reset 
     7       yes  non-disruptive       rolling 
     8       yes  non-disruptive       rolling 

thks,

Al

Hello Alan

Always refer to the Release notes as to what supported for ISSU and what not.

The version jump you want to do will be disruptive.

Refer to the notes

If you however want to stay within ISSU, upgrade to 4.2.8 first using ISSU and then upgrade to 5.1.5 using ISSU again. That should allow hitless upgrade.

hth

Hth,

Thanks for the feedback, although the install test says that the upgrade is non-disruptive, you and a couple of other contacts have said that the upgrade is disruptive.

The release notes don't explicitly mention 4.2.4 so the lesson here is if the release notes don't talk about your version then assume the worst and do a two stage upgrade.

We plan to upgrade in a couple of weeks and I'll post an update once finished.

Al

So I cannot say for certain that it would be disruptive. That does depend on the versions of code.

What is listed in the release notes, are not the only methods, but it  has been test by cisco, and therefor it is safe to assume this will not  cause downtime.

Look at this this way. Are you willing to risk downtime at the cost of customer experience, due to an uncertainty?

Doing a bunny hop upgrade will take you perhaps an extra 30-40 minutes. Is this really too much time for a hitless upgrade and no risk?

That is a business decision more than a technical decision.

hth

Ruhann,

We performed the upgrade at the weekend and it was non-disruptive however we did encounter some issues. After getting to 4.2.8, we ran the install to 5.1.5 and it was shown to be a disruptive upgrade.

Compatibility check is done:

Module  bootable          Impact  Install-type  Reason

------  --------  --------------  ------------  ------

2       yes      disruptive         reset  Current running-config is not supported by new image

3       yes      disruptive         reset  Current running-config is not supported by new image

Additional info for this installation:
--------------------------------------

_

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some features currently enabled are not available in the new image. Please use the 'show incompatibility-all system' command to obtain further information on what needs to be disabled in order to perform a non-disruptive installation.

show incompatibility-all system  bootflash:///n7000-s1-dk9.5.1.5.bin

Checking incompatible configuration(s) for vdc MYNEXUS:
------------------------------------------------------------
The following configurations on active are incompatible with  the system image 
1) Service : vpc , Capability : CAP_FEATURE_VPC_GRACEFUL_TYPE1_CHK
Description : vPC "graceful type1 consistency-check" is configured under "vpc domain"
Capability requirement : STRICT
Disable command : Remove "graceful consistency-check" config from vPC domain

show running-config vpc all
!Time: Sat Oct 22 14:09:57 2011

version 4.2(8)
feature vpc

vpc domain 20

role priority 100

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

vpc domain 20
  role priority 100

graceful consistency-check

It appears that when we upgraded from 4.2.4 to 4.2.8, the graceful consistency-check feature had been added by default. It was diffcult to get any details as all the documents seem to suggest this feature wasn't added until 5.2.

Anyway we removed the line of config and the upgrade continued non-disruptively to 5.1.5.

Al