Views
Helpful
Replies

OTV service instance

denz_cruel
Level 1
Level 1

HI All,

Just want to confirm if any effect or bad configuration if the Service Instance in Overlay Interface and Lan Interface is not same?

interface Overlay1
no ip address
shutdown
otv control-group 225.0.0.1
otv data-group 232.10.10.0/24
otv join-interface TenGigabitEthernet0/1/0
service instance 5004 ethernet
encapsulation dot1q 110
bridge-domain 110
!
service instance 5011 ethernet
encapsulation dot1q 2110
bridge-domain 2110

+++++++++++++++++++

interface TenGigabitEthernet0/0/0
description LAN-OTV-BGC-Regina
no ip address
cdp enable
no cdp tlv app
service instance 1 ethernet
encapsulation untagged
bridge-domain 1

!
service instance 110 ethernet
encapsulation dot1q 110
bridge-domain 110

!
service instance 11 ethernet
encapsulation dot1q 2110
bridge-domain 2110

3 Replies 3

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As per the example config in "OTV Configuration Basics" section of the following link it  looks okay

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/asr-1000-series-aggregation-services-routers/guide-c07-735942.html

HTH

Manish

Hi Manish,

Thank you for the reply. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong. But the link you provide give me this:

The bridge domain is the element that links the overlay service instance to the Layer 2 facing interface service instance."

so my understanding will be that bridge-domain must match between the Layer 2 interface and Overlay interface. So even if service instance in overlay and L2 interface does not match for that Bridge domain. 

Usually in cisco configuration guide it all has same value for service instance, Bridge Domain and dot1q. But in my case it is not.

Hi,

You are right, the information in the guides is a bit confusing, even searching internally i did not get clarification on whether this is a supported design or not. I would suggest opening a TAC SR if no one else is responding to this post.

Manish

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card