cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2500 router config register error. please help!

nickmarshall07
Level 1
Level 1

first of all, i am a cisco student, and i really need help on this one.

in class, we were doing password recovery with the 2500 routers. ( http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/products_password_recovery09186a0080094795.shtml )

So i get to step 5, Type o/r 0x2142 and press ENTER at the > prompt to boot from Flash without loading the configuration.

I mistyped what should have been the 0x2142. Now when the router tries to boot up, it doesnt know where to look for the config file in the memory (i believe i was told by the teacher), and spits out messed up characters in HyperTerminal.

There is no way to tell what is being typed in and what is being spat out.

Can ANYONE link me to information or tell me how to fix the router? Any way to totally reset the router?

I really need help on this one.

Thank you in advanced!

7 Replies 7

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Nick,

Probably what has happened is that you have changed the baud rate of the console. Try different baud rates on your hyperterminal - one of the standard values should work. If you can remember the config register you typed in, you can work it out from this document - it will be a good exercise ;-)

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/63/config-register-use.html#config-reg-meaning

Good luck with your studies!

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

frenzeus
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

As noted by kevin, u have most probably misconfigured the baud rate from the config-register.

A friend of mine had the same issue previously and if u try changing the baud rate with different values on ur hyper terminal, u should be able to get the wriggly characters back to the state it was before.

u can do so under the "bits per second" field under ur hyperterminal.

I have two comments to supplement the previous suggestions. On the 2500 router the possible baud rates are 9600, 4800, 2400, and 1200. You have probably been operating at 9600. You should try 4800, and if it does not work try 2400, and if that does not work you should try 1200. One of these should work.

Also with most versions of Hyperterm when you change the speed you may need to re-initialize Hyperterm to get it to recognize the change in speed. At a minimum you need to disconnect and reconnect the Hyperterm session. Or better stop Hyperterm and start Hyperterm.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

nickmarshall07
Level 1
Level 1

The problem is i entered the wrong Configuration register value. Instead of 0x2142, something different was entered, and the router doesnt know where to look for the startup config file.

I will try the different baud rate, but really I need to know how to change the Configuration register back to 0x2142 when all I see is the messed up characters on its attempt to find a startup config.

Once you find a baud rate that works, you can use o/r to correct the value in the same way as before.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

nickmarshall07
Level 1
Level 1

ok, i changed the bits per second to 2400 and it says "What?" and shows just the >

now i have to find out how to get it back into the regular mode now.

thanks for the help!!

I got it to 9600 buad rate and now its showing the Router> prompt so it should work now.

Thanks to the Cisco community! <3

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card