cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 and RSPAN

grunky
Level 1
Level 1

I'm a little confused on RSPAN and reflector ports..

I have 2 2950s, switch A and B.. They are joined by a dot1q trunk, the trunk port being fa0/1 on both switches.

I've done the following:

configured a rspan vlan - verified on both switches

configured a source port on switch B - for monitoring

configured a destination port on switch A - where ids box is

configured the source destination as being the rspan vlan on Swtich A

The only thing left is configuring of the reflector port on switch B. The problem I see is I can't configure fa0/1 on switch B to be the reflector port - as the reflector port forwards only RSPAN traffic. If fa0/1 is configured as the reflector I'd lose connectivity to that switch and all customer traffic.

I'm left to say that I need to connect the switches w/ 2 seperate cables - one going to/from each trunk port(fa0/1) and another switch port for rspan traffic only.

Is this correct?

1 Reply 1

aashish.c
Level 4
Level 4

Hey BUD

WAIT!!!!

dont connect 2 switches with 2 different cables. u can select any other port as a reflector port and reflector port is supposed to be left free and connect nothing to it.

Trunk link (uplink) will not work as reflector port...trunk is just carrying RSPAN vlan to carry monitored data to source switch A.

all rspan traffic will be going from trunk link, internally all the monitored data will be forwarded to reflector port and from there it will go to trunk link.

REFLECTOR PORT NEEDS TO LEFT IDLE.....NO CONNECTION TO IT.

Kindly update me if needs any further assistance....

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card