cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3550-12G + 3524 using Gigabit-over-Copper = Not working.

deanhassan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

I'd really appreciate some help. I'm having a little trouble with a GB link between a 3550-12G and a 3524-XL using 5483 Copper GBIC's and Cat5 cable.

The 12G is running IOS 12.1(19)EA1c and the 3524 is running IOS 12.0(5.3)WC(1) both of which support the 5483 Copper GBIC's. The two devices are physically cabled no more than 60m apart (maximum). When connected and unshut, the 3550-12G is showing Up/Up and sending data with no errors but the Gigabit on the 3524 is showing Down/Down and is not sending/receiving anything. I've tried:

Checking the config (all okay)

Replacing the GBIC's on both ends (same problem)

Changing the cabling at both ends (same problem)

Changing patch panel ports (same problem)

Using Fibre connectivity between the 2 ends using 5484 Fibre GBIC's (comes Up/Up both ends)

I've run out of ideas so I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or has experienced anything similar. I'd appreciate some advice.

Thanks in advance!

11 Replies 11

paddyxdoyle
Level 6
Level 6

Shot in the dark but have you got auto-mdix configured on one end of the link as these GBICs can auto detect whether you have a straight through cable or a cross over cable.

I don't think the 3524 supports it so try removing it (if its present) from the 3550.

This doesn't explain though why you have a link at one end and not the other.

FWIW

Paddy

Thanks Paddy. mdix isn't configured and like you said, it doesn't seem to explain why there is a link on one-end and not the other.

Any other ideas?

Hi,

Is your version of firmware correct, the doc states (Cisco IOS Release 12.0(5)WC3b) is this the same as 12.0(5.3)WC(1)

Also i just had a look at the sofware advisor for 3524xl switches and copper GBIC and the latest maintenance release is 12.0(5)WC9, so it might be worth trying c3500xl-c3h2s-mz.12.0-5.WC9

Rgds

Paddy

PS, the software advisor also states that the minimum supported image for your switch and GBIC is 12.0(5)WC2 and not WC1 as stated in the documentation.

Paddy

Thanks again Paddy. I was going to try that as my last resort (which I may have come to) I was hoping that there was a 12.1 release of some sort but it looks like it stops at the 12.0.

Oh well. I've given everything else a try. It'll take me a while to get things up and running so I'd appreciate any other suggestions in the meantime.

Will do, let me know how you get on?

Rgsd

Paddy

You did mention that you are using a cross-over cable between two switches, correct?

That's right. When I tried using a straight Cat5, neither ened was coming up . I went to a link I find through trying to raise a TAC case (they seem to have some useful links BEFORE you raise the case) and it said that a crossover was needed. Using that, the link on the 3550-12G is now seeing Up/Up but the 3524 is showing Down/Down.

Strange huh?

One thing I HAVE just noticed. I cleared the counters on both devices and a show interface on the 12G is showing data "Output" but no "Input" on the Gigabit Interface .

On the corresponding 3524 Gigabit interface, it's showing data "Input" but not "Output" even though the Interface is showing Down/Down. How is that working?

Anyone have any ideas?

Dean~

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Your 3524 code is not high enough to run the gbics 5484 . Looking at the cisco matrix for these gbics the code must be higher. Must be 12.0.5 wc3b , you are only at 12.0.5 wc1 . Download 12.0.5 wc10 and you should be ok. Your version of code came out in July 2001 and the required code came out in June 2002.

Catalyst 3524-XL-EN

24 autosensing 10/100 Ethernet ports and 2 GBIC module slots

Yes (Cisco IOS Release 12.0.(5)WC3b)

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Try the cable in 10/100 ports on both ends. If that still doesn't work, then try forcing the connection to 10meg at both ends.

If that works, then your cabling is bad (i.e., improperly terminated).

If you replaced the first improperly terminated cable with another that was similarly improperly terminated, the connection will still not work.

Used manufactured jumpers, or build new ones to the EIA/TIA 568a (or b) specification.

Good Luck

Scott

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card