cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3550 802.1q VLAN Problem.

jason.chin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I am having a problem passing 802.1q vlan-tagged packets through a 3550 switch, it works fine with a Catalyst 2900XL but not with the Catalyst 3550. The 2900XL is pretty much default having only an IP Address and a MTU value increase configured.

We provide wireless connectivity to businesses, so assume we wanted to connect a companies North and South branch offices, we would install a wireless device at both the offices. The wireless devices at both the CPs would add a specified 802.1q vlan-tag to any data passing outbound through it and remove the specified 802.1q vlan-tag from any data passing inbound through it. While the packet is still tagged is passes through our Wireless Network which includes passing through multiple Cisco 2900XL switches. The 2900XL passes the 802.1q vlan-tagged packets without any problems however the 3550's do not. Are there any additional configurations I may need to add to allow all vlan to pass through the 3550 Series Switch??

21 Replies 21

Hi Antonin, thanks for all the help so far. Im open to any suggestions at the moment the only other alternative being to sell of these 3550's Switches on Ebay. :) Anyways i tried your suggestions but got the same results. If you have any others please feel free to send them over. I have attached the current configs.

-Jason

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Will you please let me know what was connected to int fa0/1 and fa0/2 when the output was taken. Up until now I have expected all connections are of the same parameters but these seem be different. Perhaps you will need different settings for different interfaces.

Thanks & Regards,

Antonin

Hi,

Further to my previus post could you please try to remove "switchport nonegotiate" and see if there is any difference.

Thanks & Regards,

Antonin

Hi, I have removed the "switchport nonegotiate" but results are the same.

Hi, there are 2 Alvarion BreezeAccess Wireless Access Units connected to fa0/1 & fa0/2. Both are 10/half duplex. Both are also the same model and should have almost the exact configurations.

-Jason

Hi,

I would like to summarize how I see the problem as perhaps I am missing something important.

You said that your Cat2924XL vere configured mostly default which means all ports static access, vlan 1, ie. they send untagged packets. They can receive from access ports (untagged) or trunk ports,but only untagged vlan, which is native vlan (vlan 1 by default). From what I know about Alvarion Breeze

Access products these can send and receive trunk (ie. tagged), access (untagged) or hybrid (both). The

choice is done by configuration, ie. static. Cisco can do static or dynamic (by DTP). Cat2924XL does not

support DTP (ie. static only), DTP packets can be disabled with Cat3550 (switchport nonegotiate).

Question number 1: If all the traffic was on Cisco side within vlan 1 (assuming all cat2924 at default),

who did the vlan assignment and vlan separation? (I assume you have more than 1 vlan connected).

Possibilities: Either not all Cat2924XL were at default or the vlan tagging and untagging was made

completely by Alvarion, or there is another communication device I am not aware of.

Now we add (substitute?) Cat3550. These seem to be a bit different. If the communication is to be untagged

they need to have switchport mode access set for the untagged packets (access) or switchport mode trunk &

switchport trunk enc dot1q for untagged packets from native vlan (vlan 1) if this comes via trunk - all this was tested for cisco environment. We have tried both options with no success.

Question number 2: Are all connections to cisco (ie. parameters at Alvarion) set identically? If no, we need to find harmonizing settings at cisco (out of the above two). If yes, what can still make a difference in behaviour as for Cat2924XL and Cat3550? DTP, VTP and PAgP are Cisco proprietary and should make no difference as the other side do not understand anyway. STP is a candidate.

Question number 3: Which STP type/mode run Alvarion (if any)? Cat2924XL run PVST with 12.0(5.2)XU which is Cisco propritary at that time Cat3550 runs PVST+ with Cisco proprietary extensions. There are certain restrictions when configuring dot1q trunk to be standard compliant but my view is that most likely this will work without a problem.

What else? I have noticed that interfaces at Cat2924XL and Cat3550 show different speed and duplex settings. From what I have read about Alvarion their units can adjust both settings according other side, but I know only very little about Alvarion. You have said you have all 10Mbps and half duplex. Is it worth checking to

set "speed 100" and "duplex full" under fa interfaces with Cat3550? I will leave the decision with you.

What else? I do not know how you have tested the suggested configurations. Provided you have changed one box (Cat2924XL) for another (cat3550) it is worth to wait a while to enable arp timeouts etc. or even to power down/up the other side (Alvarion) if possible.

Are there any error messages, warnings, etc produced during tests with Cat3550?

Anything else to worth mentioning. Any comments to my thoughts?

One last question: what was the reason you increased mtu for exactly 1528 (any reference by Alvarion)?

I am quite sure both units should interoperate. Unfortunately I have no Alvarion locally available to test.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Antonin

Hi, I will try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.

1) All Cat2924XL's on our network are set to default.

We have Multiple VLANs.

All VLAN tagging, untagging etc.. are managed solely by the Alvarion equipment.

2) All Alvarion Access Units connected to the live Cat2924's on our network share the same configuration. (Hybrid Mode)

3) All of the ALvarion BreezeAccess XL Equipment are 10Mbps/Half Duplex and cannot be changed.

I am testing by using a small lab i have put together. I have attached a diagram of it. I do not think arp is a problem

as all host are on the same subnet. Also I always start with the Cat3550 in place then swap in the Cat2924. I have a ping

running from my pc to a host on the LAN so i will know imedietely if any configuration works. (FYI When I put the Cat2924 online, I get

ICMP replies right after the auto-negotiate sequence.

4) The MTU Value was increased after we noticed some packets were not being allowed by the default MTU Value. Pings would reply

but webpages wouldnt load, increasing the MTU to 1528 resolved this issue.

5) There are no errors that i have seen generated during the tests. Maybe you can recommend a debug command that may show why

and what VLAN tagged Packets are being dropped.

To be honest I am at a complete loss, I have spent weeks scouring Cisco's PDFs in an attempt to resolve this problem with no luck. I have attached the running config from a Live Catalyst 2924. If you need anything else or have any other questions feel free to ask.

Regards,

Jason