cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3560 Can't run "copy startup-config running-config" ?? !! ??

behigh
Level 1
Level 1

after input the "copy start run", it said no NV config is available.

Strange.

Switch3560#copy startup-config running-config

%% Non-volatile configuration memory invalid or not present

Do you know this problem?

THX

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have seen symptoms like this when a router had booted from scratch (no existing startup-config), had been configured, but had not saved the runnig-config to startup-config. I suggest that you do a copy running-config startup-config (or copy start run or write mem) and then attempt a copy start run.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have seen symptoms like this when a router had booted from scratch (no existing startup-config), had been configured, but had not saved the runnig-config to startup-config. I suggest that you do a copy running-config startup-config (or copy start run or write mem) and then attempt a copy start run.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you. After you write mem then you can copy start run.

nhabib
Level 9
Level 9

What does the command "show start" return? What IOS is running?

behigh
Level 1
Level 1

Opps, could it because the new machine, haven't copied a config before.

So, after "copy run start", then to do the "copy start run", no error message would apprea.

Right?

HaHA

behigh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Guys:

Thx to you all!

It seems could be the reason that the device is never saved config before.

That's it.

Thx again. :)

kenobiwan
Level 1
Level 1

This just happened to me on a switch I know 100% had a startup-config before bootup (it's my personal switch I've been using for almost 2 years). I unplugged the power today to clean my desk, and when I plugged it back in, it had no startup-config (I was prompted for initial setup). Thankfully, I had saved the startup-config to flash, and was able to do a switch#copy flash:startup-config running-config and was able to restore the config. Anyway, just adding this comment to offer folks the good idea to always save your startup-config to flash. =)

It is certainly good to have a reminder that it is helpful to have copies of the configuration saved in places where you can get to them. And I would add the comment that saving the config in flash worked for you this time but if something happened to the switch and you had to replace it, would you have a copy of the config somewhere that you could access (if flash were no longer available)?

I have seen symptoms like what you describe that were the result of setting the config register. For example in password recovery it is fairly common to set the config register to ignore startup config on boot so that you could set a new password. Is it possible that your startup config really was present but you got the prompt for initial config? Or did you try the show startup command?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Yes, sir! Just checked and also had a copy of the .conf on tftp server. Great point. =)

I did try switch#sh start and can't remember the exact return, but it was something to the effect of "startup-config not present... NVRAM volatile blah blah" something like that.

Thank you for the additional information. Yes having a copy of the configuration on both flash and TFTP is an excellent combination. Good to know that you did try show startup and that apparently the file was not there. So it was not an issue with config register/password recovery but was really some issue with startup config not being there at all.

And the main takeaway of the discussion is the reminder that it is important to have backup copies of your configuration files.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick