cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 with prompt. Router(boot)

bradwilson
Level 1
Level 1

Do I need to reload the boot flash to fix this issue.?

6 Replies 6

bahrom
Level 1
Level 1

I think, first you need to reload the boot flash, and even if it doesn't work then you have to reinstall the software.

Cheers,

Bahrom

bsivasub
Level 4
Level 4

First of all, your router loaded the boothelper image instead of actual image.

This means that router boot variable is set incorrectly or the config-register is set incorrectly

or the actual IOs image doesn't exist.

you need to make sure the config register is 0x2102 or 0x2

make sure the correct bootfile is specified in the boot system command

boot system flash bootflash:filename

boot bootldr bootflash:filenameofboothelper

config-register 0x2102

Make sure you "wr mem" to save the config. Open TAC case if you need additional help.

How can I verify that my config register is 0x2102

You can do a "show ver" on the router and that would tell you in which configuration register is at that particular moment..

You can do a show boot

Router#sh boot

BOOT variable = sup-bootflash:c6sup22-jsv-mz.121-8a.E4,1

CONFIG_FILE variable =

BOOTLDR variable = bootflash:c6msfc2-boot-mz.121-6.E

Configuration register is 0x2102 <========

First of all, use "sh ver" at MSFC router privileged mode to show config-register value at last line of console window output. This hex value can conntrol IOS finding and loading schedule.

If it's ok (e.g. 0x2102), use command sh bootflash: and sh run to see if there is a IOS image file in bootflash and if there is some configured way to load IOS image ( but the destination may be unaccessable). The MSFC IOS image file always has some digits indicates ites version like 121-6.E or 120-19T or some like this, for MSFC uses almost same version number compared with IOS in routers. But the switch supervisor does not have IOS version # so high. Switch IOS # is often like 6.1.x or 6.3.x.

If there is a IOS file in bootflash and configuration file has no specific description, you can manually add a line in config file like "boot sys bootflash:c5msfc2-xxxxx.bin to force MSFC load this file.

If after reloading system, this problem still exists, my suggestion is to do your RMA work.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card