cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

802.1q trunking and access ports

john.como
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to allow the transport of a 802.1q trunk connection on ports configured as access ports ? In other words on an existing switched environnement you define a vlan with access ports and you interconnect two other switches using 802.1q trunk protocol . So that the initial switches act as strictly layer two transport switches with respect to the second pair of switches.

thanks,

2 Replies 2

jfraasch
Level 3
Level 3

Not sure if I understand the question clearly but it sounds like you already know to use the 'switchport mode trunk' command on the links that go back to other dot1q switches.

Access ports to me (according to the CCDA definition) are user ports on an access layer switch. If that is the case, I don't know why you would want trunking done on these ports. But like I said before, if your goal is to configure certain ports on a switch to be trunk ports then you use the config t, interface fastethernet 0/1, switchport mode trunk command

steinar.haug
Level 1
Level 1

Are you thinking of "QinQ" or 802.1q tunneling? This is available in recent

3550 and 6500 IOS versions, see for instance http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c3550/12111ea1/3550scg/swtunnel.htm

This lets you transport an 802.1q trunk through your network using only

one VLAN.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card