cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9500 v 3850 fibre switches

bob charlton
Level 1
Level 1

We are deploying a network based on 2 * 4500x (already purchased) 32  fibre core switches and 36 * 3850 (not purchased) 24port fibre distribution switches.  We don't have enough ports on the 4500x (even with expansion modules) for the design.  I have suggested to our network supplier / designer that we should switch to 9500 40 port + uplink modules to replace the 3850 switches which will:

reduce the number of switches required

free up ports on the core switches

deal with any future EOL notices on the 3850 switches.

Our supplier / designer is strongly against this citing potential unknowns from the 9500s, as they have a working infrastructure using 3850s in their development lab. Plus potential re ip addressing.

There suggestion is to replace the core 4500xs with 9500s and use 3850s in the distribution layer

I see so many benefits upgrading the 3850s to 9500s and cant see any potential pitfalls.  Am I missing something ?  Any feedback before the decision is made would be appreciated

Bob Charlton

CCNP R&S, Voice & Security CCNA

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Catalyst 9500 is future proof to protect your investment atleast next 3-5 years. 

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What fibre speeds are you looking at?

The reason why the vendor is reluctant to use the 9500 is because they are totally unfamiliar with the "mechanics" of the 9500.

In my personal opinion, I would give another 12 to 18 months (from January 2020) before Cisco starts announcing EoS/EoL for the 3850.  

Be aware that the 9500 comes with a DNAc license.  Most people won't need DNAc (some do and some don't) but vendors are motivated to on-sell this to everyone.