cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9k interface status showing as inactive

T_tow
Level 1
Level 1

Quick question we have a pair of 9ks with 'FEXs and I added a ports which goes to  a backup server.  I added it to this first 9k and when I do a show int stat it shows as connected and inactive.  Is it listed as inactive because there's no traffic flowing through it? Also the 9ks are set up with vpc.  Do I manually  have to add the configuration to the other 9k or should it automatically copy the primary 9ks config as I add new interfaces.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If it's a port on the FEX and the FEX is dual-homed you need to have the exact same config on both upstream switches or else you will have this "inactive" port status problem.

Another reason for the inactive port is configuring the port on a non-existant/working  VLAN. If you have configured the ports as access ports for VLANs which are either:

a) not configured on the switch / present in the vlan database,

or

b) present within the databse, but is in suspended state.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

eric.ahernandez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is this backup server participating in vpc ports? if that's the case you need to configure the vpc ports on both switches (you can do it manually on both switches or do it with the "config sync" feature on Nexus switches).

If you alreasy have it configured on both switches you can do a show vpc brief and a show vpc consistency-parameters on that particular vpc and see if there's a mismatch somewhere

No it's not part of the vpc.  So it's sitting on a FEX and I do believe config sync would be right but I'm confused as to should I issue the resync-database command or issue the push command?  Also when I issue the show int status command the backup server shows as status: connected inactive.  I was wondering if this was because no traffic is flowing through?

Thanks Eric

I don't see any sample configurations, but if inactive i would look at the interface configuration and if the VLAN assigned exists on the switch.

I've attached a screenshot of the output.  Sample configs are as followed:

vlan 3024
  name backup_avamar

interface Ethernet103/1/31
description AVAMAR_BACKUP
switchport access vlan 3024
no shutdown

Thanks

If it's a port on the FEX and the FEX is dual-homed you need to have the exact same config on both upstream switches or else you will have this "inactive" port status problem.

Another reason for the inactive port is configuring the port on a non-existant/working  VLAN. If you have configured the ports as access ports for VLANs which are either:

a) not configured on the switch / present in the vlan database,

or

b) present within the databse, but is in suspended state.

Yup that was it.  I just hadn't finished configuring the other FEX.

Thanks for the help.