Views
Helpful
Replies

Any possibility of upgrading 2950 switch IOS

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

I would like to know if possible to upgrade my cisco 2950 switch IOS from Standard to Enhanced Image, As I notice from some one that it comes standard box with no uograde capabilities.

Is that means as hardware upgrade or IOS Image Upgrade?

Ankur : u have helped me before but I am still confused.

thanks,

4 Replies 4

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Mate,

I'm afraid you cannot upgrade the standard image on a 2950 switch to an enhanced image. Once you get a 2950 with standard software, you are locked into using standard software.

Being fixed-configuration switches, you also cannot install new modules, if that is what you mean by a hardware upgrade. There are some variants of the 2950 switches that take GBIC modules, though.

Pls do remember to rate posts.

Paresh

Hi Paresh,

u deserve the full rate, I have been monitoring ur comments in cisco discussion forums, and most of it if not all is so helpfull, frankly, u are open minded and have good knowledge of Networking, wish u very hopefull future. pls keep going & assist who needs some of ur knowledge.

thanks,

The ability to run either the SI or EI features on the 2950 is hardware dependant. If you have a look at the release notes for the latest IOS there is a table about 2 pages in detailing the various 2950's available and whether they run the SI or EI features.

The actual IOS software image is the same for both the EI & SI switches but only the EI features are available on the platforms that support it.

The 2950-12, 2950-24, 2950SX-24, 2950SX-48-SI and 2950T-48-SI only have the SI features, it looks like all the others run the EI.

HTH

Andy

Hi Andrew,

thanks your message is so helpfull,

thanks again.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card