Views
Helpful
Replies

BackboneFast and UplinkFast

shahid_raza74
Level 1
Level 1

Dear friends,

friends, I am going to run "RSTP" from the following command on my 2950 switches:

spanning-tree mode rapid-pvst

I want to ask you that after this command do I need to configre "uplinkFast" and "BackboneFast" features also? or the above written RSTP command will automatically cover these both Backbonefast and UplinkFast features?

Thanks...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No, those are quite different:

Root Guard - needs to be explicitly enabled, even if you are using RPVST+

BPDU Guard - needs to be explicitly enabled, even if you are using RPVST+

Loop Guard - needs to be explicitly enabled, even if you are using RPVST+

PortFast needs to be explicitly enabled, even if you are using RPVST+. IN this case, it will designate the port as an RSTP Edge port.

Pls do remember to rate posts that help.

Paresh

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Both of these are built into RSTP. While the CLI will let you enable both of these even after you enable RSTP, they will not have any effect. RSTP's inherent "uplinkfast" and "backbonefast" will automatically be in effect.

Hope that helps - pls do rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Thanks...As you told that both UplinkFast and BackboneFast will automatically apply/implement if I run "Spanning-tree mode rapid-pvst"...right. Then why I saw separate commands of both as follows:

Spanin-tree uplinkfast

Spanning-tree Backbonefast

waiting.

That's exactly what I was saying... The CLI allows you to configure these commands even if RSTP is enabled, even though you don't require them' they simply will not take effect.

The other reason is that RSTP will fall back to standard STP if it finds that neighboring switches are not RSTP capable. These commands could comne in handy then...

Hope that helps - pls do rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Thanks alot.

Very Lastly, is this the same case with RootGuard, BPDUGuard, LoopGuard and Portfast that these are also no need to configure separately if I already run "Spanning-tree mode rapid-pvst" command? or which one (i.e. RootGuard, BPDUGuard, LoopGuard and Portfast ) need to configure with "spanning-tree mode rapid-pvst" command?

No, those are quite different:

Root Guard - needs to be explicitly enabled, even if you are using RPVST+

BPDU Guard - needs to be explicitly enabled, even if you are using RPVST+

Loop Guard - needs to be explicitly enabled, even if you are using RPVST+

PortFast needs to be explicitly enabled, even if you are using RPVST+. IN this case, it will designate the port as an RSTP Edge port.

Pls do remember to rate posts that help.

Paresh

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card