cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP / EIGRP : How do I setup to auto switch WAN link

mbookham
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 countries linked via 2Mb & 0.5Mb links and BGP is the routing protocol. The links are not to be used for load balancing, but as a fail-over. In the destination European county the 2 routers (AS 200) are linked in the same location (via OSPF) and routing from this site is ok.

In the UK the 2 routers (AS 100) are in different physical locations (EIGRP is the routing protocol in the UK). If the 2Mb link fails, the automatic switch over to the 0.5Mb link is successful (after approx 2-3 mins). However when the 2Mb link is restored the traffic is not re-routed back across this 2Mb link from the UK to the European country, the return route back to the UK is correct across the 2Mb link though.

I have redistributed EIGRP into BGP and vice versa.

Here is the BGP config in the UK on one of the routers:

router bgp 100

no synchronization

bgp log-neighbor-changes

network 192.168.2.0

redistribute connected

redistribute eigrp 1

neighbor 192.168.2.83 remote-as 200

no auto-summary

I would guess that I need to add metrics of some sort to the routing, but my routing knowledge is minimal.

Can anyone provide some pointers please?

3 Replies 3

ipotts
Level 1
Level 1

Please send sh ip rou and sh ip bgp for the route when using the primary, when the primary is down, and then when the primary is restored.

Thank you for your offer of assistance, I have added:

neighbor 192.168.2.83 weight 65535

to the router with the 2Mb link. Now the routes are correct when the 2Mb link is restored, however this takes 3mins. I now would like to reduce this to as short a period as possible.

It looks like I have answered my own question again.

There is a BGP timer command that is set in the router configuration mode:

timers bgp

where keepalive is default at 60 secs and holdtime is 180 secs. I just need to determine the most appropriate values.