cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Broadcast suppression

nawas
Level 4
Level 4

we had an a issue last night where a server started sending a broadcast storm and caused latency in the network. (this was an email migrantion and we expected that type of broadcast) but problem started when Cisco4507 (where server is connected) started sending broadcast to every host in the network and spiked the CPU, in my understanding switch is not supposed to forward this traffice and should have supressed it but I think it acted as a hub and not switch. My question is what can I do to stop/limit a host to send this type of broadcast or tell the switch not to process it to other hosts. I found an interface level command

storm-control broadcast level

storm-control action shutdown/trap

Has anyone tried this? Or if someone has other suggestions?

Thanks you all in advance.

1 Reply 1

leonvd79
Level 4
Level 4

It's broadcast nature to "broadcast" traffic. When compared to a hub only unicast traffic will be isolated from other ports. Broadcast and multicast frames WILL enter ALL switchports except the origination port.

You can configure a threshold (with the storm-control command)on the troubled port. However use this with great caution. Apply it to one port at a time, because you can lock up your switch with this.