Views
Helpful
Replies

Building a Cisco Study Lab

funraps
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Does anyone have recommendations on how to build a cheap lab at home, and what / how to configure?

I have the CCIE practical guide, but it's ... um... okay.... I guess...

Any info would be great

5 Replies 5

Hello,

I would start out with getting a few routers, which do not have to be expensive if you look for End-of-Sale models like the 1600 or the 2500. With these routers, you can do a lot of the stuff covered in the lab. I guess few people preparing for the lab have the money to buy the exact equipment being used in the lab, but with 4 or 5 cheap routers you can do a lot and learn the technologies (BGP, OSPF, EIGRO, RIP, etc.). There are loads of books out there and test scenarios, a good site to start out with is www.ipexpert.com. Also, check out www.groupstudy.com, load of good discussions going on there.

HTH,

GP

Also think about a 1401 ATM router.Uses compatible memory to a 1603 and cheap as chips to buy.A useful addition to any LAB since it gives you an ATM interface to play with .

A bonus is you can use it as an ADSL router (coupled with a suitable ATM25 ADSL modem.)

I've got one of these but I think I'll be lucky to get hold of the ADSL modem. Is it worth getting another 1401 and connecting the ATM interface together for some ATM practice, I'm doing various Cisco exams. i.e. will that work or would i need even more kit than I have already?

smif101
Level 4
Level 4

I think your best bet is to rent a lab online. This is cheaper and easier than building your own lab. I use this site to rent www.networkforce.com

Jason Smith

www.smif101.com

rpgccie
Level 1
Level 1

I would recommend you go for a la setting like the one depicted in Ipexpert .

But its not really necessary . Many people think they need lots of routers and switches to do a complex lab.

But the truth is with 4 - 5 routers and couple of switches we can simulate almost all kinds of scenarios we need to. even complex BGP scenarios.

So do some research b4 going in for anything.