Views
Helpful
Replies

C4503 SUP-II-Plus and MLS-RP?

a.tillmann
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

is there feature like on the C5500, to use MLS-RP with an external Router on a C4503 with SUP-II-Plus running IOS without routing? Does the traffic from one to another VLAN have to be forwarded to the router for every packet? The old MLS-RP-feature which had to be configured on the external router and the switch is obviously is not supported on the C4503. Or is there a feature included that covers this feature?

Thank you in advance,

Alexander

5 Replies 5

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You cannot do this on any CAT4000(CAT OS or IOS). Sup2+ using CEF based hardware switching

What else can I do to provide the old feature? Do I have to tell my customer, that his new switch with a better overall performance is slower, if an external Router is used and a packet that his old C5505 could switch from one port to another using MLS was faster because there was no bottlenack (trunk to the router)?

Regards,

Alexander

Hi Alexander,

Yes you can tell your customer that CEF (Cisco Express Forwarding) will enhance the performance of routing packets by doing it in hardware.

CEF stores information in several data structures rather than the route cache of multilayer switches. The data structures optimize lookup for efficient packet forwarding.

Here is a document which will give you better under standing about CEF on 4500 :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801f59d7.html

regards

aashish C

Hi,

as I understood, cef is a layer3-feature. In the document, there is sup4 and sup4 discribed, but not sup2+ using only layer2 and an external router. So I still have to the problem, what to tell the customer.

Regards,

Alexander

Sup2+ is very similar to Sup4 but with less memory, little less CPU( its Sup4 lite). Why does your customer want to use external router when Sup2+ can route by itself. CAT5000 is EoS/EoL long time ago and Cisco will not be coming out with any more old school MLS based switches like CAT5000

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card