cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

can msfc2 use slot0 on sup 1a

mark.weaver
Level 1
Level 1

I have sup-1a-2ge with msfc2. Can i boot an msfc image from the slot0.

I have read that it is not reccommended to boot catOS from slot0 because of a couple of bugs.

regards

mark

2 Replies 2

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Best pratice would be to boot from MSFC2 bootflash. However, you can boot from slot0: as long as you have a bootldr image in bootflash. There were few bugs associated with this and I suggest that you use newer IOS and bootldr images

Thanks,

do you have a link to where i can find out about the availability of bootloader images.

I recently purchased software upgrades but only got main images with them, do i need to buy these seperately - i do not have a cco login so i cannot download them.

I have been told that if you are booting an image from bootflash the msfc2 does not need a bootloader but when i tried to boot the msfc with an upgraded ios and no bootloader image or bootloader statement the msfc failed to boot and i had to enter a boot bootloader statement pointing to the main ios. Is this normal?

I am aware that a bootloader is needed if booting an ios from slot0.

regards

mark

p.s. the newest image i have is so large i can only ftp it in if i squeeze all other images from bootflash including the bootloader. I have only 16mb and do not want to upgrade unless i have to. bootflash