Views
Helpful
Replies

Can ping 192.168 network

r.kate
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

From our internal private network I can ping 192.168.1.1 which is a private IP block .More interesting on tracert I can ping this IP just beyond our border routers ie It is coming from our ISP .Any help advise appreciated .

Thanks

Raj

4 Replies 4

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

do you mean to say that u r able to reach 192.168.1.1 from outside world ?if yes provide the trace results ..

regds

prem

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

I'd guess your provider is using 192.168.1.1 private address for his router internal addressing.

But he should apply some filters and not respond from this internal addresses to Pings from his customer devices.

Regards,

Milan

Your ISP would be ATT or Comcast would it ? :)

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Assuming that your ISP has used private address space 192.168.1.1 on some interfaces (which they are probably NOT advertising to you) and assuming that you do not have a route for 192.168.1.1 inside your network, and assuming that you have a default route configured which directs all traffic to unknown destinations, then this scenario makes sense. You send ping and traceroute packets to the ISP, the ISP knowsd how to get them to a device which has used that address, the device generates a response, and the ISP knows how to route the response back to you.

So it works. Perhaps it is unexpected. I do not see that this is a problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card