Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3500 Series

stheriault99
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a Catlyst 5000 & Catalyst 3500xl Infrastructure.

Usually when I receive a new Catalyst 3500xl, I link it to my Cat5 on a 100/full port, it works great.

With these new Catalyst 3550 that I received, I do exactly the same thing to connect to my Cat5, but I get a a bunch of discarted packets on the Catalyst 3550.

Can anybody tell me what are the differences from the 3500xl and the 3550?

And why the 3550 is displaying a bunch of discarded packets on the port that I link to my Cat5?

I've change the patch cords, I've made sure that the ports are locked at 100/full, I've tried different 3550 catalyst!

Thanks.

7 Replies 7

Not applicable

Hello,

how do you configure the ports on the Cat5 and the 3550 ? All ports on the 3550 default to ´dynamic desirable´ which means they will try to negotiate a trunk. The 3500XL ports just default to VLAN 1.

Regards,

GP

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Ports in Cat3500XL are set by default as "static access, vlan 1", while as "dynamic desirable" in Cat3550.

Will you please try to set the port in Cat3550 as:

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 1

switchport nonegotiate

and see if there is any progress.

Best regards,

Antonin

If you are trying to trunk the switches between each other change the native vlan on one side of the switchport. Sounds strange but it works on 4006 --> 3500XL or 3550 trunking.

Can you be more specific? When you say "change the native vlan" what commands should I do?

I've tried exactly what you wrote down, and I still get Discarded pakets. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Hi,

provided you have set port flowcontrol send on at the Cat5k (which is default for the ports which support flowcontrol) will you please try to set flowcontrol receive on at the Cat3550 port connected to Cat5k and see if there is any improvement.

Best regards,

Antonin

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card