cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

catalyst 4006 crash

taj
Level 1
Level 1

after a power failure the catalyst 4006 supervisor II engine boots to rommon only.

i downloaded a new catos image and still boot to rommon .and this type of catalyst doesnot have an external flash or a xmodem command to download the new image to the catalyst it has only few commands.

and it is not the configuration register because it is 0x2102 ...so any help

27 Replies 27

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

All the 4006 sup II's that we have the config register is 0xf . 0x2102 is for IOS boxes I believe . 0xf is the setting from the factory .

i changed the config-register to 0xf and still the same ....can you please tell me what catos image do you have on your catalyst

and does any body know a software that can download the image to the flash which can check for crc. because the tftp is using udp and it doesnot check for the crc. because the 4006 supervisor II engine doesnot have an external flash .( if it has an external flash the problem will be solved easy)

We are running version 6.4.11 which is GD . I believe the OS runs a check on the download to verify that it arrived ok . That's what all the CCCC's on the screen are doing as it finishes up . You can also do a "verify" command on the file after the download to make sure everything is ok . Of course you can't be in rommon mode to do this . What happens when you issue a "boot bootflash:{OS filename}command will it boot ? If so you need to set a boot statement once you get in normal mode . If you get it to boot issue a "set boot system flash bootflash:{os imagename}.

iam using cat4000.6-4-8.bin catos image and when i isue the boot command it gives dots then hashes ................................................................................

........................................................########################

########

and it doesnot make crc check i dont have the verify command i have only the following commands on the rommon

alias

dev

dir

copy

del

undelete

squeeze

history

repeat

sync

unalias

unset

boot

clear

help

ping

promrestore

reset

set

show

sprom

version

I would try a direct boot from the TFTP server, as detailed in http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_tech_note09186a00800949c3.shtml#cat4k_rec. It seems to be the official way to recover a failing 4000.

Failing that, have a look at your file on the TFTP server. Is it possible that was corrupt?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

but i got other catos image from a friend has the same catalyst and it is working on his catalyst but on my catalyst goes to rommon .....the cisco web site doesnot talk to much about catalyst 4006 supervisor II engine ... dont know why??

Have a look at the document in my posting:

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1dd6727b/9#selected_message

I think it may have the answer to your problem.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

please have a look at the show boot and the set command . and tell me if there is any thing wrong with it

rommon 16 >show boot

BOOT variable = bootflash:cat4000.6-4-8.bin,1;

Configuration reg is 0x2

ignore-config: disabled

console baud: 9600

boot: image specified by the boot system commands

autoboot state = 0

autoboot count = 0

autoboot sptr = 0

rommon 17 >set

PS1=rommon ! >

tftpserver=192.168.10.1

DiagBootMode=post

MemorySize=64

ResetCause=198

TmpfsAddr=2197815296

TmpfsSize=12582912

TmpfsDirectorySize=10240

DiagFreePageLimit=12288

AutobootStatus=fail

?=0

WHICHBOOT=bootflash:cat4000.6-4-8.bin

ROMVERSION=5.4(1)

BOOT=bootflash:cat4000.6-4-8.bin,1;

rommon 18 >

This should work, provided the file in flash really is called exactly, cat4000.6-4-8.bin, and it is not corrupt. See Glen's posting for details.

You could try a configuration register 0x1. That will load the first image in flash, regardless of its name, provided it is a valid image.

Otherwise, the only other thing I can suggest is do a bootload direct from the TFTP server, as suggested in a previous posting. If that doesn't work, then the image on the TFTP must be currupt.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

You can find information about the config register in this document, whose heading seems to be an exact match to your problem:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_tech_note09186a00800949c3.shtml#verify

However, it does seem to recommend 0x2102.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Yeah that's a little interesting seeing that all of our Catos boxes arrive from the factory as 0XF for the config register setting .

Glen,

Curiouser and curiouser. I just looked at our three 4006 boxes (WS-X4013 SII), and they all have 0x2, according to the show boot. Our old 4003 SI systems show the same. I don't remember changing them. What's going on?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Kevin , not sure I have checked a few different catos boxes like our 2980's , 2948's and all ours are 0xf . I know we have never changed these , so they came this way from the factory . We just use the oxf setting and then use a separate boot statement to make sure everything boots ok , never have had a problem . It would be nice if they had a page that explained all these different config register settings are . The page you referenced didn't even list the 0xf setting .

Glen,

After a lot of searching, I found this document, which purports to speak for all Cat5000, Cat4000, and Cat2980G.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat5000/rel_5_5/sw_cfg/boot.htm#1019850

Here it says that:

When the boot field equals a value between 0010 and 1111, the switch loads the system image specified by boot system commands in the NVRAM configuration. It attempts to boot the image in the order in which you entered the boot system commands. If it cannot boot any image in the BOOT environment variable list, the switch remains in ROM-monitor mode. The exact booting sequence is defined by the ROM monitor.

So it seems that it does not matter what you put in those bits except 0x0, 0x1, or 0xOther. If it is 0xOther, then you must have the flash file specified in the boot variable, otherwise it stays in rommon. On the other hand, if you want to force it to boot the first image in flash, you should put 0x1. Exactly the opposite to "normal".

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg