cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO 1760 - ISDN Dialer Idle-Timeout

dean.pecorari
Level 1
Level 1

I have configured an isdn dialer to stay up for 7200 seconds however it timeouts aftet the default period of 120 secs.

I am using IOS (tm) C1700 Software (C1700-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version 12.3(5a) on a 1760 router.

interface Dialer1

description "Jetstar Cert/Dev IPT Link"

bandwidth 64

ip address 172.20.248.90 255.255.255.252

ip nat outside

encapsulation ppp

no ip mroute-cache

dialer pool 1

dialer remote-name FDICHAP-D1

dialer idle-timeout 7200

dialer string 02xxxxxxx

dialer-group 1

ppp authentication chap

ppp chap hostname JETCHAP-D1

ppp chap password 7 blah

crypto map LOCALMAP

Any ideas why it timesout after 120 secs.

Cheers

Dean

7 Replies 7

j.moran
Level 1
Level 1

Dean I sympathize with you, I just noticed the same symptoms on my 1760 and need this resolved quickly!

awairlines
Level 1
Level 1

Sounds as if your interesting traffic is not specified and the line goes down because it doesn't see any interesting traffic being passed. At least this was our solution.

dbellazetin
Level 4
Level 4

Can you provide the physical interface configuration, along with the dialer list config.

Debug dialer while the problem is occuring should also explicitly tell you why the line is going down.

If the device you are dialing to has an idle timer of 120 that could be bringing down your connection.

Daniel

Physical Configuration below:

interface BRI0/0

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool-member 1

isdn switch-type basic-net3

ppp authentication chap

Feb 12 09:54:56.982: BR0/0:1 DDR: Remote name for FDICHAP-D1

.Feb 12 09:54:56.982: BR0/0:1: interface must be fifo queue, force fifo

.Feb 12 09:54:56.986: %DIALER-6-BIND: Interface BR0/0:1 bound to profile Di1

.Feb 12 09:54:57.018: BR0/0:1 DDR: dialer protocol up

.Feb 12 09:54:58.004: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface BRI0/0:1, changed state t

o up

.Feb 12 09:55:02.651: %ISDN-6-CONNECT: Interface BRI0/0:1 is now connected to 0289239100 FDICHA

P-D1

Does the FIFO queue mean much to you.

Physical interface looks ok. Don't worry about the FIFO. What I would suggest is doing the following.

1) Enable the following debugs and then fire up the connection:

debug ppp neg

debug isdn q931

debug dialer

2) Once the connection is established wait a about 20 to 30 seconds and type in the following:

show dialer

show caller timeout

3) Do some thing to cause interesting traffic to flow across the link.

ping

file transfer

4) Do the same show commands again.

show dialer

show caller timeout

The first time you do the show commands you should see that the idle timer is counting down to zero. Once you push interesting traffic across and do the show commands a second time you should see that the timer should have reset itself. If the call still terminates after 120 seconds even though the show commands indicate that the idle timer is working properly then the debugs will tell us who is disconnecting the call.

Daniel

vcjones
Level 5
Level 5

Have you checked the timeout setting at the other end of the call? Remember that either router can terminate the call. If you don't have access to the router being dialed, turn on ISDN events debugging and look at the call termination event to see which end initiated the hangup. Post the debug if you need help interpreting it.

Good luck and good hunting!

Vincent C Jones

www.networkingunlimited.com

Thanks Vincent.

The router on the other end was set to default timeout of 120 secs and was dropping the call.

My issue is solved.

Thanks

Dean Pecorari